Clone a thumb drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy0777

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I am looking on info. on how to clone a thumb drive. As far as I know, its a Linux drive. I know zero about Linux. All of my computers are Windows based. The files I have on the drive , I really need. Did not want to take a chance messing it up. Looking for some easy beginner's guide, tutorial , etc. Thank you

G'day Randy, Welcome to Linux.org

If you plug the thumb drive in, what does it show?
Right click ion it and select properties?

Can you select all the files there and simply copy and paste to where ever you are going to put them?

If this has a Linux OS on it, it is easy enough to create a new one....even on a (ugh) windows machine.

Tell us more.

If it's a Linux drive, and if you clone the drive, it will still be a Linux drive. Actually, as far as you know... it is NOT a Linux drive either. How do you know what's on it... so that you know you really need the files? This sounds very suspicious, like this drive does not belong to you. If all you have are Windows computers, you probably need help from a Windows forum. They may be able to tell you how to view (copy) files from a Linux drive to a Windows computer.

Hmm... I bet Clonezilla can clone a USB thumbdrive.

I know zero about Linux. All of my computers are Windows based. The files I have on the drive , I really need.
If you know zero about Linux and then all your computers are Windows-based, then how can the drive be your USB drive? To begin with, how do you copy the files into that USB drive? It is not making sense in my opinion, unless you explain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies...
Yes, Its my drive.
Its a game on it, and the game is Linux based. Not really the game itself, but the key to load the game
Windows will not recognize it. insert into a Windows based PC, nothing happens.

What's the game? Giving us the full story is more likely to get help. We have some avid Linux gamers on here (I am not), and I'll defer to their judgement. Your story still sounds fishy to me.

The game is Spartacus. What sounds "fishy" ?
I don't need the files, just wanted to clone it.

You know nothing of Linux, but you have a Linux game... that is yours... that you can't unlock or otherwise access. Please pardon my suspicions, but no one here likes to help someone who may be trying to commit a crime. This sounds like that... like the drive is stolen and you want help to unlock it. I'm sorry, but that's how it sounds to me. I will be happy to apologize if some of our gamers here tell me how foolish I am. I've been foolish and wrong before. :oops:

As I told you earlier, making a clone will not make it work in Windows. So you're not even really asking how to solve your problem correctly.... and that also adds to the suspicions.

@f33dm3bits knows a lot about Linux games, so I hope that he can help. Naming him will get his attention when he returns. We have users all over the world, so you may get a suitable answer sooner, or maybe a bit later, depending on time zones.

The game is Spartacus. What sounds "fishy" ?
I don't need the files, just wanted to clone it.
Is that really a Linux game? From what I've seached on Google, there are lots of games with similar names. One is from PS3 and another one is for Windows. But anyway, you should ask this question on Windows forum.

I do not get all the suspicious post.
I have a thumb drive that I wanted to clone for another game. The game is on a Linux platform. Yes, I only Windows computers. The drive will not show up in Windows. So, I was looking on info to copy it under Linux...I assumed it was Linux because the game has Linux commands on the screen when it loads.

Thank You KGIII, I'll check out Clonezilla

I'll go back to reading.

This doesn't sound like anything to do with gaming but more to do with cloning a thumbdrive, the easiest way to do that is dd. Find out which what drive is you want to clone and to which drive, then you would do something like this from a terminal.
Code:
dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdX bs=64K conv=noerror,sync status=progress
The if is your source disk and the of is your destination disk, be sure that you no for sure which is which because it will destroy all your data on the destination disk.

From Windows create a live usb drive of any Linux distribution, boot into that and do it from there. Otherwise it's not really a Linux problem?

It oozes of piracy.

It also looks like this isn't a Linux problem.

I'm gonna make the executive decision to lock this thread. If there's a *legitimate* reason to reopen it, let me know by PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts