Clear up some confusion maybe

Asios

Reaction score
Credits
Total newb here and im sure, which ive seen many times, youve heard, where do i start.
I read down a couple threads probably one of the best answers is to DL several versions and load via usb and test, rinse repeat.
My problem is ive read several things that concern me.

Ive boiled down my choices to:

Slackware (no systemd, moderate learning curve, stable, secure)

Zorin (systemd, most window-ish, paid support?)

Kubuntu (systemd, beginner friendly)

1. Systemd. I know its what Linux is built on? A package of tools so to speak. But theres a lot of questions around what its actually doing and why its doing it. Im not sure what to make of this. Its essentially in almost every distro. Except a select few which are good enough yet more of an advance user. Slackware is supposedly beginner friendly but ive read otherwise. Gentoo. Void. Manjaro.*

2. Security. How secure is Linux? I've read its virtually immune. Then i read something about while updating its vulnerable to attack? Im kinda lost on this.

3. Stability. Some distros update weekly and downloaded and update can break what already works. Is it essential to update weekly? Why not monthly? Id like to steer clear of weekly updates and update it myself when i choose. ( the whole reason why im moving away from windows. Win 10 build 1803 forces updates, only way to stop is using Nsudo. Now its all wonky, plus DWS seems to be a joke and does nothing or not as much as recently thought. Will revert back to 1709 and force updates off permanently. I still need windows for adobe premiere/photoshop, so i'll dual boot)

4. Dual booting. Ive read its not a good idea. I have another tower and or HDD. But going back to HDD from nvme m2 seems silly. Hence why i liked the usb idea, but eventually i'll have to fork over another $400 for a sam 960 evo 1tb =(, which sucks cuz only 1 of 2 nvme slots on MB is fast. So im not really sure what to do here either.

5. Some distros shady? Ive read to stay far away from Manjaro? Something about the way they do things.
Void is supposedly a botnet managed by microsoft?

6. Tracking. Supposedly some distros track you, not cool. Zorin says they dont, but that brings me back to what is systemd doing?

Any info and or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Hello @Asios, and welcome! All very good questions, and you have already found many of the answers. I'm at work, on my phone, so I will just offer a few comments now, but I think you will have a very active discussion here soon. :D

There is no perfect operating system, and there is no perfect Linux. The advice is very valid to download several so that you can discover for yourself what looks and feels good to you. This is a very personal preference... you may not like what I like. But I can recommend a handful of distros that are very good for beginners, and you have to start somewhere.

Almost all viruses are written for a Windows environment, and that is why Linux is practically immune. You can find on Wikipedia that there are a small number of true Linux viruses, but my memory is that these have never been found in the wild (on personal or business computers). Linux is not immune from malware, however. There is no safe haven... Linux, Mac, and Windows may all be attacked or compromised, but Windows is generally the most vulnerable.

Systemd... oh boy, that's a fun one. :D Linux is not "built on" systemd. There may be some heated discussion about this from people much smarter than me, but my simple perspective is this: systemd has been accepted and implemented by most of the biggest and best known distributions around. Between them they have a small army of very smart people, and if they have determined that systemd is effective for the tasks that it performs, I am in no position to argue with them. There are other systemd-free distros besides Slackware... if this is important to you, we can help you find them.

Updates: I don't think any distro forces updates. Some (Linux Mint) may offer a scheduler to suit you. You can manually update anytime.

Tracking or other devious behavior: I can't say for sure, but I don't think there is much, if any, "spying" going on. And certainly no worse than what might be found on Windows or Macs. Again, there is no safe haven. If you want to use a computer, you weigh the benefits versus the risks, and you make choices between security and convenience. If you want the best and strongest security, you will probably find it not very convenient (or fun) to use.

Okay, enough from me for now. This ought to be an interesting thread to follow, and I hope that we are able to satisfy your questions.

Cheers

Hi @Asios and welcome to linux.org :)

You may have already encountered these in your travels, but if not, a Googling under "linux distros no systemd" reveals a couple of interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_distributions_without_systemd

and

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Linux_distributions_without_systemd

The latter article is current at 11th July just past.

I run 50 or more Linux at a time per computer, so I don't usually have an Agenda in saying "Use this or use that". I find virtue in all of them, or they don't stay on the computer.

That being said, I can recommend MX-17. I have been using it since MX-14, it gets up and flies and is easy on maintenance.

I'll come back to this thread when I have time.

Good luck and we hope we will see you around for a long time, enjoying Linux :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hey there.. quick reply since I'm on mobile..

Systemd vs system v.. is mostly going to impact a user on how applications / services are started and stopped. It's not going to affect the average desktop user.

service httpd restart (system v)

vs

systemctl restart httpd (systemd)

Also, init scripts.. etc..

It's good to know sysv but also good to know sysd since it looks to be the future.

TL;DR - Wow thanks for replies!

First off id like to say that i was informed, as some have already stated, to take posts on the internet with a grain of salt and i do. I know as many of you, that the internet is full of untruths, here say and just down right trolls. But to some extent there is truth behind some of it and i just wanted to confirm and or debunk my suspicions. Thanks.

As far as sysd goes, i read and read and read and it just seems like a back and forth volley about what the big deal about it is. I have no idea what it is, what it does etc. So i just thought id ask and maybe shed some light or at least get a better understanding up front. Without actually reading a big long article about what it is, how it works etc. Super lazy i know. I'll be DLing how to's and tutorials for sure.

The reason i say this is because im not one much for code. I'll be honest, all i know about code is was when i used BASIC on an IBM 30 years ago.

Now ive been tinkering around with cmd prompt/powershell to make my windows stop doing stuff i dont want it to do. And its gotten to the point to where i have to use third party programs just to control windows cmd prompt, services, task scheduler, i.e. Nsudo. Srsly!?

I started my journey with Kubuntu. Was told Slackware is a bit advanced for beginners. Atm, im just using live version via usb. I have to say, im very impressed.

Everything is configurable! Although i'll figure it out, ive noticed that, at least in kubuntu, the font and window sizes are seperate. I found scale, font and task bar size, but cant seem to find a way yet to change the size of certain menus like the "menu" aka start buttun menu and the window header/font. I'll figure it out eventually and dont want to be that guy who asks every little detail especially since ive only played around with it for like 10 minutes.

I mention this because i have a 1440 monitor. And as anyone who has a 4k or 1440 knows the desktop realestate is ridiculously huge and icons, windows, menus and font are ridiculously small.

In windows its all changed when set. In linux its changed individually only? Can it be set all together? Is there a panel for that? Is it coded? Do i need to DL something to do that? Mind you ive only played with it for 10 mins, so if i missed something, i'll find it eventually.

I am however very impressed that it runs my evga gtx 1080 ti ftw3. It has 3 fans and in windows will only run all 3 fans with evga precision x. Now i either find a program compatible to run individual fan curves or program it somehow to do so... Because precision x doesnt run on linuxl and probably will never be ported to.

So the first thing im going to do is partition my usb to install linux on it. Get a couple more usbs and do the same with other distros. Id just rather not keep formating my m2 and have linux reset after the live session is over.

Thanks again for answering the redundant question that no one likes to answer. Simply because its not simple to answer. However i do like the answer i found from someone elses post. "Find several beginner friendly distros and just try them out via usb."

I beleive i found several lists on the net stating "beginner" next to the distro, but there seems to be some controversy over "personally opinions" and actual fact of which is which. Ive read theres literally a possibility of limitless versions of linux and that right there in lies the problem to the question. Im not stating how to fix the problem. Im just saying the answer i read was very well put.

I also read that on another forum, but they kinda went into details, when i think for the most part people who are beginners are just looking for somewhere to start. So a plain and simple answer is usually the best for such a somewhat vague question. Not saying the details hurt or are redundant, just it can seem overwhelming for a windows user whos always basically had their hand held by windows to get anything done... in a sense.

Because linux and windows are like night and day, while they share similarities, theyre totally different. Being thats theres only one windows (10) to run certain programs and with windows phasing out 7 in 2020, im sure you understand someone like me being overwhelmed with the variety of distros. Which ultimately leads to this same question over and over again, especially since everyone thinks that their question will be answered differently. Im no different.

I'll be honest again, im pretty lazy (as most windows users are), combined with i could care less for coding probably doesnt make a good candidate for linux. But, im fed up with windows. Im not saying im going to have to write code to use linux, because i know very little if anything about linux. Just like everyone else who needs instant gratification i'll get frustrated when i cant either get it to work or find an answer the easy way by asking when its been posted a million times. Sorry, kinda ranted off there at the end =P.

Thank you again for taking time to post a reply on the most asked question about linux. I'll be around... a lot, lulz.

Members online