Cinnamon Clock Font Size Too Small

YeahRight

Reaction score
Credits
There doesn't seem to be much one can do with regarding the small icons/ clock that really sucks. I don't get why one can't have the clock bigger or those close/expand icons but it is what it is. I guess the more I use Linux the easier it will be later on. Oh yeah, workspaces seem fun to use....

Last edited by a moderator:

The clock may react to a increase in font size.....menu....system settings....fonts......

or...possibly a different 'theme' may do it as well.....themes are located right alongside fonts

Is your flash drive big enough to hold sufficient Timeshift snapshots ?

.....and maybe I missed it....but which Linux Mint are you running....version number (18.3....19.1....????)

The clock may react to a increase in font size.....menu....system settings....fonts......

or...possibly a different 'theme' may do it as well.....themes are located right alongside fonts

Is your flash drive big enough to hold sufficient Timeshift snapshots ?
Not sure what happens with my flash drive. I created a folder call Backup and I thought I had Timeshift install there. Will the backup tool in Linux, once it been used, overwrite whatever on a drive?

.....and maybe I missed it....but which Linux Mint are you running....version number (18.3....19.1....????)
I have tried many things with regarding the clock none has done what I would like...I'm using the latest 19.2

Last edited:
I am searching for ways and means to alter that particular font size....from what I can see it was possible in LM 19.....but not in 19.1

Which one do you have ?

@YeahRight ..have you tried right clicking the panel (task bar) and selecting 'Panel Settings'....then select 'customize panel size'........then move the slider along to increase the height of the panel...it will increase the clock sizes with it...

I do not have 19.2 so this is a stab in the dark

@YeahRight ..have you tried right clicking the panel (task bar) and selecting 'Panel Settings'....then select 'customize panel size'........then move the slider along to increase the height of the panel...it will increase the clock sizes with it...

I do not have 19.2 so this is a stab in the dark
Yes, and it did increase the icons beside the clock but not the clock as you can see from pics post #18

You need a crash course in becoming a Linux Geek... but you can do this! The clock's font size can be hard-coded into a configuration file for the current theme that you are using. The default theme for Cinnamon is "Mint-Y-Dark" but you may have changed it. The recommendation from these instructions is to copy the theme you are using to a new directory (.themes) that you need to create in your home folder, and then make your changes to that new theme folder. You'll need to restart the desktop or reboot to see the change.

Since you are new, you may need to know that files and folders that start with a dot (.) are hidden, so you won't usually see them in your file manager. Use CTRL-H to toggle them into view and back to hidden.

It looks like this will work for you when you add the needed font-size to the cinnamon.css file. If "1.2em" is not big enough, increase it slowly to the size you want. You may also need to increase the panel height to make room for the larger font. Good luck!

Cheers

Even with the default theme it still doesn't work, how I know I just by accident wipe my hard drive using Clonezilla which is another thing I need to figure out but it's okay I don't mind making these mistakes because the more often I do the better I learn Linux or at least I hope I do lol ... So now I have reinstalled Cinnamon again, I have tried to increase the theme everything but the clock gets increased. Maybe later on once I get this Linux to my liken ( settings ) afterward I will explore those other options lol

Good attitude, one I can relate to intimately :)

How does this look? Don't worry about the panel icons, just the clock size.

IhL2AfD.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - WIZARD'S CINNAMON CLOCK

Default size of the clock display was about a quarter the size.

This is on 'Tessa' (19.1) Cinnamon, will likely work with 'Tina'.

I haven't the time to down tools on some of my other projects before the weekend, to install Tina - an install for me can take 2 - 3 hours because I run 40+ Linux on each rig, and the bottleneck is in Linux detecting the other operating systems during the install.

What I can do is burn the Tina iso to a USB stick with Persistence, and see how the changes I used with Tessa affect Tina.

Let me know.

BTW method I used similar to but different to what Stan advocated at #10, will outline if you give me the green light.

Cheers

Wizard

Last edited:
Even with the default theme it still doesn't work
Yes, it does work (see photo below). I'm typing on a Live DVD of Mint 19 Cinnamon right now, and I've just followed the directions myself. But what was omitted was that when you copy the Mint-Y-Dark theme to the new .themes folder in your home folder, then 1) you should give it a new name, like MyTheme (and edit the cinnamon.css file in the cinnamon folder), and 2) you need to go back into the Themes app in Settings and select MyTheme (or whatever you call it) instead of Mint-Y-Dark. Then restart the desktop with CTRL-ALT-ESC and the new bigger clock is there. Otherwise the directions were spot on, I think.

The clock in this image is 2.5em ... a bit too big maybe. But I stumbled on the directions myself when working with smaller sizes, and this is just where I finally got it right. So its okay for you to stumble too... we all do. But you see for sure that you can accomplish your goal with Mint 19. Cheers

clock.jpg

Last edited:
Since Stan has reopened the door, I will explain a little more on mine -

I used the in place cascading style sheet (.css) which path is

/usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark/cinnamon/cinnamon.css

This, in Nemo, the file manager.

At the level above the subject file (cinnamon folder), right-clicked and opened as Administrator, then double-clicked cinnamon.css

Ctrl-f for Find

applet-label

and modified to this

.applet-label {
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 24pt;
color: #f0f0f0; }

I had to add the red line. I am old school and work with points rather than em.

I cycled through (default may have been 12), 16, 20 and 24.

You can do a save as on the original file if you are going to make a number of changes.

This may or may not sustain certain software upgrades such as kernel upgrades, &c, time will tell.

Or you can use the .themes folder already in Home as Stan has said, and that remains untouched.

With that method, you might just want to alter permissions, since by default files and folders in Home and owned by you the User and files in /usr and others by Root.

BTW Stan my research indicates that a number of points such as these have changed from LM 19 to 19.1 and maybe to 19.2 (ask Clem Lefebvre why), so I'm off to burn a stick with Tina and see.

Cheers all

Wizard

Good attitude, one I can relate to intimately :)

How does this look? Don't worry about the panel icons, just the clock size.

IhL2AfD.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - WIZARD'S CINNAMON CLOCK

Default size of the clock display was about a quarter the size.

This is on 'Tessa' (19.1) Cinnamon, will likely work with 'Tina'.

I haven't the time to down tools on some of my other projects before the weekend, to install Tina - an install for me can take 2 - 3 hours because I run 40+ Linux on each rig, and the bottleneck is in Linux detecting the other operating systems during the install.

What I can do is burn the Tina iso to a USB stick with Persistence, and see how the changes I used with Tessa affect Tina.

Let me know.

BTW method I used similar to but different to what Stan advocated at #10, will outline if you give me the green light.

Cheers

Wizard
That looks what I would like so I have to modify it somewhat and do as to what Atanare
posted #10 with those instructions

By all means - writing this from a Live session with Persistence of Tina on a stick, both Stan's and my approaches work on it so should translate to a full install.

Wiz

I'll have to vote for slackware with the KDE Desktop! Welcome to the group.:)
I'll have to vote for slackware with the KDE Desktop! Welcome to the group.:)
Thanks, but that to advance for me. I don't really need to learn all the terminal stuff. The simple desktop task environment is good enough for me I'm not a heavy computer user. Surfing the internet is mostly all I use a computer for. No games, no office, no facebook or twitter

Sorry guys I don't understand this language in post #10

You should be able to set it via editing your Cinnamon Desktop theme to set a font-size for the style class applet-label

E.g if using Mint-Y-Dark...

Using Nemo copy the folder /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark to ~/.themes/Mint-Y-Dark

Open the file ~/.themes/Mint-Y-Dark/cinnamon/cinnamon.css in a text editor.

Search the file for the string .applet-label { and in the code-block add a line font-size: 1.2em;

E.g in Mint-Y-Dark the section would look like this after the edit.
CODE: SELECT ALL
applet-label {
font-size: 1.2em;
font-weight: bold;
color: #f0f0f0; }
Save the file and hit Ctrl-Alt-Esc to restart system and reload the theme.

Don't know what Nemo is or what applet - label actually I don't understand any of it

If you are US-based or Canada you have to be getting ready for zzz's.

Take a fresh look tomorrow, and I can put together a vid but may take a day or so.

...but it's okay I don't mind making these mistakes because the more often I do the better I learn Linux or at least I hope I do lol ...

Don't worry, don't hurry, just pace yourself ... Linux is like the Yellow Brick Road, and if you follow it, you never know where you will end up. It's legend, in my books :)

Cheers

Wiz

Last edited:
Oh, I wouldn't give up I like a good challenge. I don't plan on giving up on Linux I'm here for the long run even if it's long lol ... I think using Youtube is a great place in learning ... It so much simpler watching what needs to be done than reading about it. If by chance you do make this video I would definitely watch it, thanks

Members online