Chrome

Explorer was the bank's suggestion =). This is the message I got when I went into software manager and typed in chromium-browser: version 66.0.3359.181.0ubuntu0.16.04.1 size 53MB to download 191MB of disk space required. I have to agree with you about firefox - we have had this for a long time and I have never had a probelm with it. As well, I can access anything else that I normally do just not the bank.

And no I haven't done any add ons. As far as updates - I haven't done anything personally. Does Linux automatically do that?

Explorer was the bank's suggestion =). This is the message I got when I went into software manager and typed in chromium-browser: version 66.0.3359.181.0ubuntu0.16.04.1 size 53MB to download 191MB of disk space required. I have to agree with you about firefox - we have had this for a long time and I have never had a probelm with it. As well, I can access anything else that I normally do just not the bank.
The bank does not understand that you are using Linux. As I said , they have no clue.
Just go ahead and install Chromium....that message is normal .
That will give you a browser that works.

lster I will give you a step by step to refresh Firefox....that should fix it

I view Wine in much the same light as Internet Explorer.....(very dimly) :D

@theresa ....Updates. In the bottom right hand corner of your screen....generally in the clock area....there should be an update icon....it will look like the thing below if there are NO updates
Update icon.PNG

If there is a blue dot in that same position then there ARE updates waiting for you to install

Click on the blue dot, and the Update Manager should open

Click on refresh and wait for the manager to update itself to today.

When it has finished (a few minutes should do it) then click in the box beside each and every update....this will select them all.....then click on Install Updates.

There should be quite a few of them....and it could take some time. If you dont want to sit there watching the process, you can always do this last thing at night and go to bed.

There will probably be an update in amongst all the rest...relating to Firefox......That may well fix Firefox.
In any case the updates are necessary...All of them.

Let me know how things go

Condobloke,
Thankyou for this info. Ok there is a blue dot so seems it will take a while =). I will do this today after work and will keep you posted. Fingers crossed!

Condobloke
I clicked on the blue dot and the update manager came up but when I click on refresh it won't budge

ok....forget refresh...it has probably already scanned for updates.

Just click on each and every update to select them all.....and then click on Install.

You do not have to be there with the PC.......you can safely walk away and leave it to do its thing......and Yes, it will take quite some time

It will only let me click on one of them and then it does show that there are 2 new upgrades to do and it asks me the question - do you want to switch to a local mirror? Local mirrors are usually faster then packages.linuxmint.com

Also, if I hit install updates it tells me ahead of time that the upgrade will trigger additional changes by removing 3 packages - virtual box-guest-utils and virtual box-guest-x11

Thats ok......click ok

I am assuming you are in America, somewhere.

Dont worry about the local mirror

How many updates are there...total ?

Just out of curiosity, when did you install Linux Mint ??....how long ago ?

If there are only 2 updates to do....list them for me, what are they ?

Last edited:
So I've done all that and the message that came back said that they couldn't update all the package and on the bottom it says 'could not install the security updates and now the blue circle on the bottom now has a red x in it

Condobloke I tried again this morning and guess what? It started updating like crazy. Now I get the message that it's all updated and I have a check mark in the little icon. So now do I try to download Chrome?

I just tried to download Chromium and it worked! I can access it so I guess all is good? If there is something else I need to do?? Other wise I want to thank Condobloke and ALL of you who so graciously helped this frustrated newbie from Canada who didn't have a clue! Thankyou for your patience and understanding. One thing I have learned is that all of you are very knowledgable. All the very best!!

One more thing - I so appreciate all the help given so freely and would like to make a donation to Linux for ongoing support. Can I get the info on how to do that? =)

Reactions: Rob
Try accessing your bank via Firefox.

can't write much with broken shoulder but

contact us

and

account upgrades

are options you might consider

goodonyer theresa, and you've got to love the inimitable brian and his dog belle

wiz

btw - firewall?

Code:
sudo ufw enable

btw- firewall? Am I supposed to do something with the code sudo ufw enable? Anytime I've used sudo it asks me for a password that I don't know

you found the password, darl - same password :)

type what i put then Enter

enter your password (may not see movement - security)

Enter.

you'll get message.

we should have checked this with you when you joined - our bad

wiz

Wiz
Just tried it and it gave a message firewall is active and enabled on system startup oops with the password hehe still getting used to that =). Is this message the one we want to hear?

Members online