Chrome

theresa

Reaction score
Credits
Could someone tell me how I can add Chrome to Linux? Would greatly appreciate it and thankyou in advance!
Theresa

No. Chrome is one thing and Chromium is another. They both exist.

https://www.google.com/chrome/? Click on the Download Chrome button. It leads to Accept and Install

Chrome "phones home" - it reports back to Google.

Chromium is the Open Source equivalent. Very similar to Chrome. It doesn't report to Google. It accepts Chrome Extensions.

mmm well i have chromium-77.0.3865.75-x86_64-1alien
but most of the time i find icecat does everything i want

Hi Arochester,I clicked on the download chrome button and hit accept and install. After downloading, the Package Installer came up with the message Error - wrong architecture 'amd64'. Did I do something wrong? =(

theresa. that error message means that you are running a 32 bit system...as opposed to a 64 bit system.

The vast majority of systems now are 64 bit.
Simply put, a 64-bit processor is more capable than a 32-bit processor, because it can handle more data at once. ... ...the key difference: 32-bit processors are perfectly capable of handling a limited amount of RAM (in Windows, 4GB or less), and 64-bit processors are capable of utilizing much more ram.....eg my pc runs on 16GB of ram.

With all that in mind...read HERE

"Main points are :
To provide the best experience for the most-used Linux versions, we will end support for Google Chrome on 32-bit Linux, in early March, 2016.
We intend to continue supporting the 32-bit build configurations on Linux to support building Chromium.
it’s not like that Chrome will stop functioning all of a sudden but it will not receive any security updates. Keeping that in mind, you should not be using Google Chrome on the affected systems after March 2016. "

If you are stuck with 32 bit system, you have no choice other than using the open source Chromium browser or other alternatives such as Mozilla Firefox,...etc

Just to really cut to the chase.....You are running Linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya). If you click on menu.....then type in Software Manager,......When software manager appears....type Chromium in the little search box in that window...it is up at the top right hand corner. You choose to install Chromium from there
.....OR......same menu software manager etc....but type in Firefox......you can install it from there
Let me know how you get on

btw....is there a reason you want Chrome ? (I am just curious)

Last edited:
Well firefox has made some changes which left us and many other being unable to access site that we use such as our bank's site. They suggested Chrome as it's compatible for them. Is there a difference between Chrome and Chromium are far as security, etc..?

You will find Chromium to be quite secure. Linux updates it as and when needed.

I am unaware of changes in Firefox of that nature. I have used Firefox for the last 20 odd years and have never encountered that type of problem.

have you tried a refresh of Firefox ? click on the menu icon...top right hand corner of any firefox page....three small lines, horizontal......go down to Troubleshooting Information....click on refresh firefox (right hand top corner of page

BE AWARE THAT ALL ADD ONS WILL BE REMOVED....SO BE PREPARED TO INSTALL THEM ALL AGAIN

which version of firefox are you running ? ((click on menu and then help....then about firefox......version will be there

I tried to get into our banking's website and had issues. I phoned them and they said that everyone had a problem accessing since the changes Firefox made and they do not know when it will be cleared up and to download perhaps Chrome, etc they named a few.

Condobloke, apparently I'm told that Chromium would be fine to use that they have not had any issues with it so now I need to know how to download it on my computer. You can tell I'm not computer savvy and learning all the time! =)

If you use a Debian based distro it is available from Repository.
Connect to the Internet
Issue the command (as Root): apt install chromium

What distro are you using?

distro means the linux you are using is it for instance puppy, slackware ,mint or ...

Debian based for the history books was a Linux variant, that a guy called " ian" called after himself and wife "Deb" . that guy unfortunately has since passed over. Anyway with some Linux , there are "children" to put it simple variants. So Salixos is a child or off shoot form slackware

So for installing if what your using is a "Debian" then you can install using
$ apt search <packagename>
$apt install <packagename>

if its not "Deb and Ian" based then you have to use something different

A repository put simply is a place online that has loads of packages stored. So imagine your looking through your Argos catalogue for something ; you search ,find what you want and get it. In principle thats what you do for a package eg Chrome

Open a Terminal and issue the command
Code:
sudo apt install chromium

Chromium is already in the repository on your Linux Mint 18.2

If you click on menu.....then type in....... Software Manager,......When software manager appears....type Chromium in the little search box in that window...it is up at the top right hand corner. You can choose to install Chromium from there. After it has installed, If you right click on the name chromium in the menu, it will give you the option of saving a Chromium shortcut to the desktop or to the tray.

When I typed in Software Manager it asked for a password - I don't know what it is

Did you set a password when linux was installed on your pc ?

Members online

Latest posts