Chrome OS to Linux, Little help?

Baxmin

Reaction score
Credits
I have just got a new(ish) Cromebook, model XE303C12-A01US. I need to know if #1 if i can even get a version of Linux on such a old Cromebook. #2 what would be a good version to put on my chromebook. I am a cartoonist and would like to install some drivers on my laptop for a pen tablet. and you know. Have a modern and not shit OS.

Have a modern and not shit OS.

A noble ambition, indeed :p

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, dodges splintered chromebooks)

Hi @Baxmin and welcome to linux.org.

I have not used a Chromebook, but the following Google search

"chromebook XE303C12-A01US linux"

yields results, and you can narrow that by placing "solved" at the end.

Let us know how you go.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I have just got a new(ish) Cromebook, model XE303C12-A01US. I need to know if #1 if i can even get a version of Linux on such a old Cromebook. #2 what would be a good version to put on my chromebook. I am a cartoonist and would like to install some drivers on my laptop for a pen tablet. and you know.

Hi @Baxmin, and welcome. As the Wizard said, Google will show you a fair amount of info on installing Linux into your Chromebook... but you will find it very challenging unless you are well-versed in this type of hackery. It is also probably not a good tool for your cartooning goals either really. With only 2 GB of RAM and a 16 GB flash/emmc storage that they call an "SSD"... it is not a powerful graphics machine. I do not think that it has any stylus/pen support.

Chromebooks are great little inexpensive devices for their general goal of surfing, email, and Google Docs (and other cloud storage)... but they are pretty insufficient to try to turn into a regular laptop computer, IMO. If you want to hack into it just for the fun of installing Linux, I get that and you might have fun doing that. But if you aren't up for the task, then it will more than likely be a major frustration instead. Good luck!

Cheers

Members online

Latest posts