checkbook app

Kemoinfla

Reaction score
Credits
I'm running Mint Cinnamon. I'm looking for an app to use to track and balance my checkbook. As I slowly leave Windows behind, I have most of the tools I need for this transition. There is a huge difference in naming conventions and other terminology, but I'm getting there. Also, is there a list somewhere that cross-references most of the popular windows apps to Mint apps? Thanks.

Kemo

A couple of "best of" summaries to give you an idea are here and here.

If you run a small business, or if you're an accountant/bookkeeper, you might appreciate GNUCash and "double-entry accounting" methods. But I never found that to be very comfortable for me and for typical home use. I think KMyMoney also uses double-entry accounting, but I have not used these in awhile so my memory is pretty dim. KMyMoney, as I recall, did have a nice user interface though.

I did like the HomeBank program fairly well when trying it out. It is a simpler program for home users, but still very functional. If I were going to switch to another program, I would definitely be considering HomeBank again. If my wife were to take over the checkbook duties again, she could install HomeBank in Windows and we would probably have a fairly smooth transition.

One of the links above reminds us that LibreOffice has a powerful spreadsheet application (Calc), and that it can be used very efficiently as a checkbook program too. Building your own checkbook register can make it as simple or as complex as you want it to be. You may can even find some templates online to get you started, but I haven't searched any out.

My own solution was to keep using Quicken Deluxe 2004. It's ancient now, but it runs fine under PlayOnLinux. I do not use it to update online with banks, so I don't know if that feature would still work, but it does everything I need for typical home checkbook chores. And I think I can still make this old version run in Windows 10 if my wife needed it, but I have not tested it yet. A newer version of Quicken might not do so well in Linux, so your mileage may vary if you try this method.

Let us know which you choose and how the experience goes for you. Good luck!

Cheers

I'm running Mint Cinnamon. I'm looking for an app to use to track and balance my checkbook. As I slowly leave Windows behind, I have most of the tools I need for this transition. There is a huge difference in naming conventions and other terminology, but I'm getting there. Also, is there a list somewhere that cross-references most of the popular windows apps to Mint apps? Thanks.

Kemo
Welcome aboard, mate. Are you using Quicken, by chance? If so, what version?

Happy Trails
Paul

Last edited:
Hi Kemo, I'll provide an answer that may help with both the checkbook, and cross-referencing.

Make alternativeto.net your friend :D

If you type in Google eg "alternative to checkbook", you will soon find this page

https://alternativeto.net/software/checkbook/

... where the first one is not the answer, but go down the list looking for where it says Linux, and you will find five (5) possible candidates, although one is command-line based, the others are GUI.

The same applies for just about anything you have had in Windows, eg type in

"alternative to MS Office", or "alternative to PhotoShop" &c, you get the picture?

Some of the options provided may already be in your Distro's Repositories, so also check with your Synaptic Package Manager (do a search, not a filter) before installing from elsewhere.

Cheers and enjoy your Linux

Wiz

Last edited:
Thanks for all suggestions and info. I have been using MS Money 2000 for some time now and it more than serves my purposes. I don't need budgeting, access to bank.,etc. After perusing the suggested options, HomeBank looks to be what I need. Some time ago, I developed a spreadsheet to handle my budgeting needs, and have imported the MS Excel version into Libre Calc, and it works fine with some minor tweaking. When looking at the download page on the HomeBank site, I have several options, none of which say Mint. What would I need to do to prepare for one of the other choices, or will it just run? I saw an option for downloading the source and compiling it. I am still a novice. It seems to be able to import a .MNY file, which is very important to me since MS Money has NO export function. I really would like to preserve the history in MS Money. Thanks again for the help.

Kemo

Mint can install programs just like Ubuntu, so there are several choices.

1) Install HomeBank from the repositories. This version may not be the very latest... it is common for repositories to be little behind.
Code:
sudo apt install homebank

2) Follow the Ubuntu instructions on the HomeBank download page to install using a PPA. This will give you the latest version.

It's very rare that you will ever need to compile a program from source code. With Mint, you can also install programs that are packaged in a .deb (Debian) format, but you may need to install gdebi if it isn't on Mint by default.

Cheers

Thanks for all suggestions and info. I have been using MS Money 2000 for some time now and it more than serves my purposes. I don't need budgeting, access to bank.,etc. After perusing the suggested options, HomeBank looks to be what I need. Some time ago, I developed a spreadsheet to handle my budgeting needs, and have imported the MS Excel version into Libre Calc, and it works fine with some minor tweaking. When looking at the download page on the HomeBank site, I have several options, none of which say Mint. What would I need to do to prepare for one of the other choices, or will it just run? I saw an option for downloading the source and compiling it. I am still a novice. It seems to be able to import a .MNY file, which is very important to me since MS Money has NO export function. I really would like to preserve the history in MS Money. Thanks again for the help.

Kemo
I switched over to Mint Cinnamon, and looked in the synaptic package manager. Version 5.0.3.2 is there if you wish to take the easy route for installation.:cool: One advantage to using this is that it takes care of any dependencies automatically. If you are not familiar with the synaptic package manager, just bring up the main menu and look under administration. You can look around, or just do a search at the top for homebank. Good luck, mate, and if you have any questions, there is always a wiz or a Stan around to helpo_O:D.

Happy Trails,
Paul
Here is a screenshot of synaptic package manager, with a screenshot of the program in the forefront:
Homebank.png

Last edited:
It seems to be able to import a .MNY file, which is very important to me since MS Money has NO export function. I really would like to preserve the history in MS Money.
Just a general note... its always good to work with a copy of your data, and not the originals. I usually give this advice about photo editing, but it's true with importing too. You don't want any hiccups with your original files. :eek:

Good luck!

I'm going to have to get me some Homebank, I think, Elaine & I could do with some budgetary assistance.

I am in Manjaro at the moment, and v5..2.2 is available.

Friday here in Oz so all

Avagudweegend :D

Wiz

Once again, you folks have exceeded my expectations, so many thanks. Here's where I currently:
- I have successfully installed Thunderbird and HomeBank, and copied my data from Money 2000 to HomeBank, copied my contacts to Thunderbird, installed Google Chrome (I have a serious dislike for Firefox) and copied my "favorites' to Chrome. Atanere warned me to be careful about corrupting data during these processes. Not to worry, as I only go in one direction, from my desktop Win10 PC to my Linux laptop. I am "building" the entire Linux environment I intend to have, and it is all on a 1 TB USB external disk drive, which is dedicated to the project. Once completed, my intention is to connect the 1TB drive to the win10 PC, boot from it and see how it goes from there. More later.

Kemo

Last edited:
Once again, you folks have exceeded my expectations, so many thanks. Here's where I currently:
- I have successfully installed Thunderbird and HomeBank, and copied my data from Money 2000 to HomeBank, copied my contacts to Thunderbird, installed Google Chrome (I have a serious dislike for Firefox) and copied my "favorites' to Chrome. Atanere warned me to be careful about corrupting data during these processes. Not to worry, as I only go in one direction, from my desktop Win10 PC to my Linux laptop. I am "building" the entire Linux environment I intend to have, and it is all on a 1 TB USB external disk drive, which is dedicated to the project. Once completed, my intention is to connect the 1TB drive to the win10 PC, boot from it and see how it goes from there. More later.

Kemo
:cool::D

Kemo
There is a good alternative to Firefox, "Brave" browser is very secure and you can still use Duckduckgo search engine.

I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 5.0.7, I have installed Homebank, but it doesn't print reports, like MS Money did on Windows. I am a church treasurer and it is helpful to be able to print income and expense reports, and budget reports. I am still new to Linux, so I don't know much about it. My small church doesn't have any money to spare, and I don't like to put my accounting info online, too risky. Is there a user friendly free alternative capable of printing reports? I don't need to track membership, don't even need it to communicate with the bank, just some simple book keeping would be helpful. Right now, I print out the portion of the register I need, but it doesn't print the split catagories, so it is a lot of work trying to transfer the numbers to Libre Calc so I can print it out in a report format. I am not impressed with Gnu Cash, tried that, not what I need. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

I wrote a spreadsheet, in .xls format, that I use for everyday stuff. Then I copy the info into quicken for backup and reconcile the two. Easy peasy!:p

I wrote a spreadsheet, in .xls format, that I use for everyday stuff. Then I copy the info into quicken for backup and reconcile the two. Easy peasy!:p
I did something similar only used .ods format for LibreOffice and copy info into GnuCash

Staff online

Members online