check for an xml file, if it's there do something

kissmequick

Reaction score
Credits
This is an Oracle concurrent request. It uses a file on the file system to lftp receipts to archive. It runs every 5 minutes to check for the file. If the file is not there, it should do nothing or say , file is not there.

Process needs to check for 2 files, an *.ack file and an *.xml file in a directory. When the xml file is there, then move the ack file.

This code checks for a file, but i need to check for both files the *.ack file and *.xml file. When both are there move the ack file to archive.

if [ "$(ls -A $lclDirOut/*.*)" ]; then
echo "Files found in $lclDirOut"
cd $lclDirOut
chmod 777 *
lftp <<EOP
open $rserver
user $touser $topwd
echo "Copying files to Remote Server $vORacleFiles"
lcd $lclDirOut
mput *.*
bye
EOP
else
echo "No files found in $lclDirOut."
fi

Thank you for the help.

I'm a little confused, some of the wording in your post is a little unclear. I'm not sure if I'm understanding your post correctly.
So, you're saying if you have an xml file in the directory at $lclDirOut called file1.xml and a corresponding file in the same directory called file1.ack, you want to move the .ack file to your archive directory?

If so, something like this snippet should achieve that:
Bash:
lclDirOut="/path/to/somedirectory"
for xmlfile in "${lclDirOut}/*.xml" ; do
  ackfile="${xmlfile%.*}.ack"
  if [ -f ${ackfile} ] ; then
    mv ${ackfile} /path/to/outputdirectory
  fi
done

The above snippet does the following:
The for loop, loops through each .xml file in /path/to/somedirectory/*.xml. (NOTE: Replace that path with the path you want to search on).
Each time through the for loop, the variable $xmlfile is populated with the path to an xml file in the directory we're searching.

Then we use a variable called $ackfile to generate and store the name of the .ack file we expect to find.

To do this we strip off the .xml extension from the filename in $xmlfile using ${xmlfile%.*}

So file1.xml would become file1
And then we just munge ".ack" onto the end of the name, yielding the filename file1.ack.

Then we use bash's -f test to see if a file exists with the name stored in $ackfile.
We already know that the .xml file exists, so we only need to check that the .ack file exists.

If the .ack file exists - we can move it.
In my snippet, I've just used mv to do the move, but you should replace it with whatever you're using. Also, replace /path/to/outputdirectory with wherever you're moving the files to!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this. It's a beautiful snippet.
What it needs to do is check if the *.ack file is there, if the *.ack is there then move both the file to an offsite server. If only the xml file is there, then don't move the file and say file is not found or send an error message.

Last edited:

Members online