Cheap Mobo for Ryzen 3600 (Linux)

EvilHamster

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all.

I am looking for a mobo for Ryzen 3600, that will work well with Linux. I do not need super fancy features. I am planning on gaming in 4k, but that is pretty much it. Hence, I am looking for a Mobo, that is as cheap as possible (but still functional :)).

I was thinking about

will this work?

I think I could manage a Bios update, but I would prefer, if I did not have to bother with it.

If not, does anyone have any other recommendation for about 50 (Euros/Pounds/Dollars)?

Cheers.

I never really look at GNU/Linux compatibility when I buy hardware. I recently bought this motherboard. It runs like a train together with the 3400G which is the same generation ryzen as the the 3600. But I don't see why it wouldn't run. I think the motherboard you linked was one of the motherboards I looked at before going for the one I have now.

Thanks. Did you need to make a Bios update? I heard, that you need to use an older chip to update the Mobo, so that the 3600 can run on it.
I do not have any AMD chips, and it would seem like a bit of work, to buy a used one, update the bios and than sell the old chip :)

Cheers.

Thanks. Did you need to make a Bios update? I heard, that you need to use an older chip to update the Mobo, so that the 3600 can run on it.
I do not have any AMD chips, and it would seem like a bit of work, to buy a used one, update the bios and than sell the old chip :)

Cheers.
In the first years when building my own systems I would put together my own hardware. Now days when I order a system I also order assembly service which also includes a bios/uefi update. So can't tell you for sure. Like I said in my first post I have never had any problems with compatibility. Also have a look here you may find some useful information.

Last edited:
What distribution are you planning on running? Maybe you can use this?

What distribution are you planning on running? Maybe you can use this?
WOW! $600 for a linux-friendly mobo ! Add everthing else, and we're looking at three grand, easy, I'd say.
A long ways from my first build, which cost me a little over a C-note in 2000 (512MB Corsair RAM was the bomb, back then -- LOL) and was built to play GTA3.

Thanks for the reality check, @f33dm3bits!

WOW! $600 for a linux-friendly mobo ! Add everthing else, and we're looking at three grand, easy, I'd say.
A long ways from my first build, which cost me a little over a C-note in 2000 (512MB Corsair RAM was the bomb, back then -- LOL) and was built to play GTA3.

Thanks for the reality check, @f33dm3bits!
:eek: haha I never even bothered checking, I remember Phoronix being well known for good hardware articles on Linux support. I personally think it's kind of pointless to check if every piece of hardware you buy is Linux compatible. Just buy something that fits in your price range and see if it works, if not see if you can get it working. All the new hardware I bought in the last years worked out of the box didn't have to do anything extra for it as far as I can remember and everything else before that have gotten to work if it didn't work out of the box already.

Last edited:
I am planning on using Linux Mint, but something like Ubuntu is also OK.

I guess I will just write the sellers, ask them if they are compatible. Maybe I will get lucky :)

I am planning on using Linux Mint, but something like Ubuntu is also OK.

I guess I will just write the sellers, ask them if they are compatible. Maybe I will get lucky :)
I just remembered System76 sell systems with guaranteed Linux compatibility. You should have a look there. Otherwise you should have a look at Lenovo systems I remember that they recently announced to support Linux as well.

Thanks, but sadly not helpful. They only have prebuild ones, and when I did the "configure one", it did not show me what Mobo they would use. But thanks.

Thanks, but sadly not helpful. They only have prebuild ones, and when I did the "configure one", it did not show me what Mobo they would use. But thanks.
Just for your information the System76 systems are guaranteed to run Linux because they are built to have Linux support and compatibility. Other wise you can also have a look at Slimbook they also seem to offer Desktop Systems.

Another prebuilt one?
Yes you wanted to be sure what you buy has Linux support the only easy way to be sure of that is buy a system from a company that guarantees their hardware supports Linux. Also you don't get to choose de base system but do get to choose what else you put in it. I'm trying to make your chose easier for you, the other option is to just not go looking if al your hardware components have Linux compatibility and just buy the hardware components you want and then install Linux. If you are planning to run Ubuntu or Mint you should probably be fine since they have a large user base. I'm just trying to give you options, it's up to you to make the choice ;)

This Ubuntu link might be helpful as well as this Mint Link.

That link is actually super useful. I found a Mobo
Gigabyte_GA-MA785GT-UD3H
that seems to be quite cheap as well. (at least used ones. But the way I see it, its a mobo. Who cares if it is used :)).

Cheers, I have a new bookmark ;)
Be aware that is a really old motherboard since it's an AM3 motherboard, you will need an AM4 motherboard if you want a ryzen processor in it.

Search for the B450M-A in the search of the Mint link I gave you, so this one. That will probably be your best option from what I can find so far in the Mint hardware database. Here are the hardware specs on the Asus website:

"AMD AM4 Socket for 3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ / 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics / Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors The AMD Ryzen™ processor is based on the innovative Zen core architecture and features up to eight cores and Radeon™ Vega integrated graphics. Together with dual-channel DDR4 memory, native 5Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 1 and 16 PCI Express® 3.0/2.0 lanes, these AMD AM4-socket processors deliver superb computing performance."

And there are benchmark statistics for the 3600 for both
Mint and Ubuntu so since there are statistics they should run under Linux.

Last edited:
Yeah :) nice catch. Saw it too. Cheers.
That is, why one should wait a day before buying something, to look at everything fresh again (and also, why one should post things on the interweb, to get peoples opinions on them).

Anyway, still a great website.

Members online