Character appearing when I open the Terminal

Cyber_Cyrus

Reaction score
Credits
Good Day All,

I am fairly new to the Linux world so forgive me if my questions seems stupid at first.

I have a small issue whereby the "i" character appears each time I open the terminal. This is a huge inconvenience for my OCD brain.

1623442971509.png

I am unable to remove this character, and it only seems to disappear when I enter a session as another user. This does not hinder my commands, just an inconvenience like I've mentioned.

I am using Ubuntu 20.04.2

It seemed to have appeared when I enabled dual screen. I have rebooted the system and revert the dual screen setting to no effect.

Please help or point me in the right direction if you can. Thank you.

Which Ubuntu flavor(Xubuntu, Kubuntu,..etc) are you running or just Ubuntu and how do you open your terminal?

I am just using Ubuntu.

1623444380009.png

I generically open the Terminal using the shortcut keys, but I have even tried to open by manually navigating to it.

I am unable to remove this character, and it only seems to disappear when I enter a session as another user.
How did you change to another user session, another users ssh session or another users graphical login session?

It's better to use one of these commands to find out which distribution and version you are running.
Code:
lsb_release -a
cat /etc/os-release

I have solved the issue.

I restored my .bashrc to its default and that seemed to have done the trick.

The only change I made to this, was changing the colors in the command prompt for the user@computer. This is the command I used:

export PS1="\n\[\e[01;33m\]\u\[\e[0m\]\[\e[00;37m\]@\[\e[0m\]\[\e[01;36m\]\h\[\e[0m\]\[\e[00;37m\] \t \[\e[0m\]\[\e[01;35m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\[\e[01;37m\] \[\e[0m\]\n$ "

Strange that the "bug" did not appear initially, only after a few hours and only after I enabled dual screen.

Thank you f33dm3bits for your time and assistance :)

"It's better to use one of these commands to find out which distribution and version you are running.
Code:
lsb_release -a
cat /etc/os-release" - Thank you for the tip, I will be sure to keep this command at hand for whenever I need it. I still have a lot learn and appreciate the help.

That's a good start already solving your own problems, it's the best way to learn! :) If there is a next time you mess something up in your .bashrc file just create a new user and login as that user, then you can copy that .bashrc to your own user's .bashrc and it will be back to default as well. Welcome to linux.org and if you like create an introduction post so that you can some of the rest of the members of the community here.

Thank you for the welcome, the help, and the quick response! I'll be sure to create an introduction post and look forward to get to know some of the members and perhaps work with them in the future.

Staff online

Members online