[SOLVED] Changing refresh rate to 74.99 Hz causes black screen on login

Josemarialanda

Reaction score
Credits
I'm experiencing a weird problem with my new build.

AMD Ryzen 5700G
Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac (BIOS 4.60)
Corsair vengeance CL16 3600 mhz
PNY 500 GB NVME M.2

I've tried installing several distros:
Pop OS
Ubuntu
Nix OS
Manjaro

I even tried with a different motherboard (gigabyte A520I AC) and I experience the same problem.

Initial install goes fine.

Whenever I set the refresh rate to 74.99 Hz in the display settings. its a hit or miss. Sometimes it changes to 75 hz correctly and sometimes it just hangs on a black screen until I ctrl alt f2 - ctrl alt f7 - ctrl alt f2. But what does happen for sure is that on the next login it just hangs.

I laready tried enabling early KMS and blacklisting radeon drivers with no success.

My previous computer worked just fine at 75 hz with this monitar and hdmi cable

This must be some sort of graphics issue with the 5700G??

Last edited:

AMD Ryzen 5700G
PNY 500 GB NVME M.2

Pop OS
Ubuntu
Nix OS
Manjaro

I even tried with a different motherboard (gigabyte A520I AC) and I experience the same problem.

Whenever I set the refresh rate to 74.99 Hz in the display settings. its a hit or miss. Sometimes it changes to 75 hz correctly and sometimes it just hangs on a black screen until I ctrl alt f2 - ctrl alt f7 - ctrl alt f2. But what does happen for sure is that on the next login it just hangs.

I laready tried enabling early KMS and blacklisting radeon drivers with no success.

I think it's a kernel bug present in most distros. Anybody experiencing the same issue??

This mostly depends on your monitor. What is monitor specs?
Also I've had some monitors where it supported high refresh rate in display port,
but not in HDMI.

This mostly depends on your monitor. What is monitor specs?
Also I've had some monitors where it supported high refresh rate in display port,
but not in HDMI.

but I was running linux on my prev computer on this same monitor, same hdmi cable 75 hz. the monitor only has hdmi. its an LG ‎29WL500. on the website it says it support 75Hz and apparently has some sort of RADEON FreeSync technology.

Do you have a discrete vide card? Radeon/nVidia?

Some built-in GPU's won't drive hi-rez and hi-refresh at the same time.
What resolution are you trying to use?

Do you have a discrete vide card? Radeon/nVidia?

Some built-in GPU's won't drive hi-rez and hi-refresh at the same time.
What resolution are you trying to use?

Nope. Im using the integrated vega graphics in the 5700g.

the resolution is 2560x1080, nothing fancy.

Besides, it can run at 75 hz. I can change the refresh rate to 74 hz and it runs fine. The problem happens once I try to login again with this refresh rate setting, I get a black screen every time.

AMD Ryzen 5700G
PNY 500 GB NVME M.2

Pop OS
Ubuntu
Nix OS
Manjaro

The problem was the HDMI cable. It appears theres some sort of bug in the latest 5.14.8 kernel that causes some issues with the latest ryzen chips (5700g in my case) and hdmi.

I swapped the hdmi for a displayport cable and now everything works fine =)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts