Changes To Grub Customizer LM 21.1 Cinnamon <Solved>

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
In the past I've used Grub Customizer and it worked well until I had to perform a fresh installation of any Linux os.
After the fresh installation the Grub Menu returns to the default black background with white letters.

OR> until Grub was updated to a newer version and the same as explained above occurs.

Is there a way to stop this from returning to the default setting?

I too have used grub customizer in the past....and in the past is where it will stay.

My experience was not good...at all

Therefore I would have to say, the better way (for me) of stopping it returning to its default setting, was to not use it again...ever.

WOW!
I didn't know that:

Grub Customizer puts the entire contents of /etc/grub.d into the backup folder, and changes the /boot/grub/
directory too.
I've spent hours trying to fix Grub in the past not because of Grub Customizer being installed but for other reasons (kernel panic or kernel didn't exist) and I don't want a repeat of it. Thanks for those links.

You said that your experience was not good at all.
What happened Condobloke?

I encountered strange happenings....weirdness......and this was immediately after installing grub customiser....So, of course I attempted to uninstall it.

A long story short the whole thing ended in a total reinstall of the OS

there is a topic on here somewhere..it is a while ago, but I will try to find the link.

I encountered strange happenings....weirdness......and this was immediately after installing grub customiser....So, of course I attempted to uninstall it.

A long story short the whole thing ended in a total reinstall of the OS

there is a topic on here somewhere..it is a while ago, but I will try to find the link.
I bet you were non to thrilled to say the least.

Yes, non thrilled comes close !!

Yes, non thrilled comes close !!
Sorry to hear you had to perform a fresh install.
I wouldn't have likely been pretty ticked off quite honestly:-

Anyway I think Jarret B had written an article where this could be done in the command-line w/o using Grub Customizer at all.
I'll have to see if I can find it.

LOL I, on the other hand, install grub-customizer pretty early on when I do a new install.

I use it to hide grub entirely at boot - if I need to. I don't double boot or anything, so I don't need to see it. I could just change the timeout value manually I suppose.

LOL I, on the other hand, install grub-customizer pretty early on when I do a new install.

I use it to hide grub entirely at boot - if I need to. I don't double boot or anything, so I don't need to see it. I could just change the timeout value manually I suppose.
Yeah you could change the timeout, that would work.
Anyway--
I'm not taking any chances with a triple booted system, ie} LM 21.1, Debian 10 Mate & Slackware 15.
IF my Slackware install get's hosed it would not be good at all in many ways!

Sorry to "put the wind up you"..

Morning Alex - I have warned about it in about 10 threads over 5 years, you can read them if you wish with a step referenced here

https://www.linux.org/threads/inter...ager-or-via-a-fresh-install.41516/post-168194

Rado84 had this thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/anyone-else-noticed-grub-customizer-no-longer-works-as-before.41370/

And David G.

You will have been affected by what is contained in that last link.

Just FYI

Wiz

You will have been affected by what is contained in that last link.

Just FYI

So far, so good. But, I only ask simple things from it. I don't actually customize it more than that.

If it's gonna be buggy, I might just as well do it manually. It'd probably take less time to do it manually than it does to download and fire up the application anyhow.

See post #2

I'm coming to this discussion late as one who used to use Grub customizer all the time. But of late have come to realize that it really does make the Job of fixing boot issues when they are encountered much more difficult. I now manually change grub by editing the /etc/default/grub file and copying my own themes to /boot It's simple and take but a few moments after a fresh install.

I'm coming to this discussion late as one who used to use Grub customizer all the time. But of late have come to realize that it really does make the Job of fixing boot issues when they are encountered much more difficult. I now manually change grub by editing the /etc/default/grub file and copying my own themes to /boot It's simple and take but a few moments after a fresh install.
Can you share how you cp the theme or picture to your /boot file?
Does it have to be .png format or .bmp?

Can you share how you cp the theme or picture to your /boot file?
Does it have to be .png format or .bmp?
Yep, You go to the teminal and type this command to
Code:
pkexec nemo
Once nemo come up with root priviledge copy which picture you want and paste it in /boot/grub
Don't forget to run
Code:
sudo update-grub
In the /etc/default/file open it like this
Code:
xed admin:///etc/default/grub
then change these lines
Code:
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0

Change to
GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
Also you have to change
Code:
#GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600
to
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600
You may also have to change the resolution to something bigger if the print is too small to read.
save the file
and again run
Code:
sudo upgrade-grub
If you want to change the boot order you do so by changing the number in this line
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
Remember grub starts counting at zero 0 so 0 is the first item in your boot list. 1 would be the second and so forth.
.jpeg also works, .bmp & .png will also work.

Good luck .

Last edited:

Members online