change partition sizes

Reaction score
Credits
Hey I got a dual boot Windows & Linux Mint.
I already have 2 partitions but looking to resize the windows space smaller, and give it to Mint.

In Mint's disks program, when I try to resize the Windows partition smaller, it says "unable to mount. Windows is hibernating"
Should I be doing the first half in windows, then taking the free space and going to Mint?

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
DO NOT EDIT WINDOWS PARTITIONS FROM INSIDE LINUX!

Always, and I mean always, edit Windows partitions from inside Windows with Windows-specific tools.

Also, did you do a full shutdown or just the quick shutdown thing that modern Windows does? Either way, it shouldn't matter 'cause you'll edit Windows partitions from within Windows.

OP
L
Reaction score
Credits
What do you mean quick shutdown? I just hit shutdown from the start menu. Blue screen with circles spinning till black

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Being in hibernation means the windows does not really shut down.....it appears to but it doesn't.

Hibernate is enabled by default.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Well, they've been around for a bunch of years and have a solid reputation with an enterprise-ready solution that's widely used in the industry. They're not about to ruin their reputation over your computer.

It's closed source, so you'll have to trust them. You can look for an open source Windows partitioning tool, but good luck with that - and this one is known to work and to work well.

At the end of the day, you probably lack the skills to read the source code and make that decision yourself - so you're blindly trusting someone. You might as well trust someone who has no motivation to do harm to your computer and nothing but a stellar reputation.

At the end of the day, unless you're a programmer who wrote their own OS and wrote their own compiler for use only on open hardware products that you've personally audited (an impossibility), you're trusting someone. So, do what you want. It's your computer.

OP
L
Reaction score
Credits
Alright fair enough. Thanks for the reply my friend.

I did manage to partition some free space off windows. But can't get it from "free space" to Linux Mint. I tried both disks and gpartion.

On gpartion, the free space is to the left of the mint space. Does this matter? So from left to right it is,

(most left)
Windows space
Free Space
Mint space
(most right)

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
OP
L
Reaction score
Credits
thank-you for the reply, however I would prefer not the post a screen shot due to security reasons

The main question is does the order of the partitions from left to right matter?

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
There are no security issues associated with using GParted.

brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
I would prefer to not show my partition
your not helping my colleges to solve your problem, it may help them if you run inxi -P from the terminal and copy/paste the partition information, it will only show drive space number of/type of partition, no sensitive information .

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
I believe the security risk you are referring to relates to gparted version 0.15,,,,,which is back around the time of Ubuntu 12.04

The vulnerability related to ubuntu not to gparted

Gparted is currently at version 1.0, and is considered quite safe

it would help immensely if you did your research properly before making statements like that.

Last edited:

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Are you on BIOS-MBR or UEFI-GPT?

If the former, you may have an Extended Partition which will need accounting for, we cannot tell better without a picture.

If you wish to DIY, then I suggest Googling

gparted resize partitions youtube

and view each video until you understand.

Cheers

Wizard
The main question is does the order of the partitions from left to right matter?
No, but with provisions.

OP
L
Reaction score
Credits
Are you on BIOS-MBR or UEFI-GPT?

If the former, you may have an Extended Partition which will need accounting for, we cannot tell better without a picture.

If you wish to DIY, then I suggest Googling

gparted resize partitions youtube

and view each video until you understand.

Cheers

Wizard

No, but with provisions.
is the screenshot able to clarify this?

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
That is because you are in Linux Mint, and its root partition p is mounted (little key means mounted).

You cannot perform major operations (including resizing) on a working partition while you are in it.

You have to either do it from another Linux Distro on the computer (what I do) or use a USB stick - do you still have your install stick, it will work from there?

Also I note I missed in your first Post the reference to
In Mint's disks program,

That is GNOME Disks, it would be easier to explain how to do it from there, but with both Disks and GParted it needs to performed as I have described above.

I'll be back with screenshots and more soon, and you are likely catching zzz's if you are US

Wizard

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Before we go further, two observations

1. If you use GNOME Disks for the operation, it will perform the whole operation for you without prompting you for a password. By your standards, you might regard that as a security risk.

2. With #16 of yours and the screenshot.
...is the screenshot able to clarify this?

It shows that you have UEFI, and likely GPT because of the partitioning format going to a 5th partition without an extended partition, so it is not MBR.

Don't do that whiting/greying out rubbish, please.

You have removed the size figures from the graphical representation the upper part of the popup window, and all the size content in the lower pane under Size, Used and Unused.

Let me ask you - if you went to an upholsterer and asked

"I need a piece of material to upholster a sofa, but I won't tell you what type of material I want, I won't tell you my budget, and I won't tell you the dimensions of the sofa"

What sort of response do you think you would get?

It is in no way a compromise of your security and just tying one hand behind our backs in helping.

Have a think about it and come back to us with your choices.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!