Certain Post Keeps Getting Flagged for Moderator Attention

carlarogers

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I understand that being new triggers extra attention on my posts. One of my posts keeps getting flagged when I edit it, saying it has to be approved by a moderator.

I don't know which of my many offenses is triggering the moderaton. If you could let me know, I would be very pleased to restrain my offensive behavior as much as possible.

Thank you.

Post that keeps getting flagged:

G'day @carlarogers and welcome to linux.org :)

Many of these cases come across my desk for approval, and one I approved yesterday for you was on the chrooting issue.

That one did not contain a link, so I am at a loss.

With the one you refer to, on the .png, I would suggest reading my Thread here (& yes, the sound on the vid is crap)

https://www.linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

and seeing if posting using such a method eliminates the problem.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day @carlarogers and welcome to linux.org :)

Many of these cases come across my desk for approval, and one I approved yesterday for you was on the chrooting issue.

That one did not contain a link, so I am at a loss.

With the one you refer to, on the .png, I would suggest reading my Thread here (& yes, the sound on the vid is crap)

https://www.linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

and seeing if posting using such a method eliminates the problem.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you for responding.

Unfortunately, the image doesn't have a url. To put the image in the post, I clicked the attach file link under the reply box.

The image in this thread was not loaded as a file. I used snip to select a portion of my screen that popped the selection into the clipboard as an image without bothering to save it as a file anywhere. Then ctrl-v popped the image into this post.

Here is a very brief video of the process (video uploading to youtube).

Unfortunately, the image doesn't have a url.

Yeah, it does, you may have missed a step.

But that does not matter, the process you have used above works fine (much better) so let's not reinvent the wheel, perhaps?

The video is not here.

What you have to do at youtube is call up the video from your account, and then right-click and copy it from your address bar in your Browser.

Then come into your reply pane here, go the toolbar and 9th from left is a little pair of chain links. Click that and paste the copied URL.

While you are in writing mode that will just appear as a highlighted link, once posted it shows us the vid (or you can click Preview).

Cheers

Wiz

Yeah, it does, you may have missed a step.

But that does not matter, the process you have used above works fine (much better) so let's not reinvent the wheel, perhaps?

The video is not here.

What you have to do at youtube is call up the video from your account, and then right-click and copy it from your address bar in your Browser.

Then come into your reply pane here, go the toolbar and 9th from left is a little pair of chain links. Click that and paste the copied URL.

While you are in writing mode that will just appear as a highlighted link, once posted it shows us the vid (or you can click Preview).

Cheers

Wiz
I am sorry for being late getting back with a video. I made a new one.

Regarding urls for images, I guess I am thinking there is no url for files that are not available on the internet, because files on my computer cannot be accessed universally. Maybe that is the wrong defini
tion. Right clicking on files through the file manager does not bring up an option for grabbing the url.

As for pasting images directly from the clipboard without the images existing as files on my system, except maybe somewhere within the clipboard cache if it has any, I finally got the video show that together.

Video showing image pasted into post from clipboard without the image being saved as a file.

Video showing what I am trying to explain about urls and files on my local computer.

The videos above show how the images below got into this post.

I am sorry for being late getting back with a video. I made a new one.

Regarding urls for images, I guess I am thinking there is no url for files that are not available on the internet, because files on my computer cannot be accessed universally. Maybe that is the wrong defini
tion. Right clicking on files through the file manager does not bring up an option for grabbing the url.

As for pasting images directly from the clipboard without the images existing as files on my system, except maybe somewhere within the clipboard cache if it has any, I finally got the video show that together.

Video showing image pasted into post from clipboard without the image being saved as a file.

Video showing what I am trying to explain about urls and files on my local computer.

The videos above show how the images below got into this post.
View attachment 5100

View attachment 5101

For local files on your computer - Use the attach files option. That's what I normally do.
Or use your other method via your clipboard tool.

The other way requires you to upload images to an online service like imgurl, or your personal web-site etc etc. Then you can use the URL to the image.

Ok, that is the part I was not understanding. Thank you very much.

Oops. I just remembered the part that was confusing me the most I'm still not sure I understand. The files on a local computer have URLs? I checked about five definitions through three different search engines. Obviously this is not a definitive study. However, the definitions I found all said that URLs refer to resources on a network. This is where it becomes fuzzy to me. Our computers on the Internet are on a network but the resources on the computer in the home setting typically are not available to other computers. So I don't know if those resources are considered on a network or not I just want to make sure I understand the correct meaning of the term URL thank you

Last edited:
URL is Uniform Resource Locator.
And yes - typically it describes a file on a server.

Your local files won't have an URL.

If you upload them to a 3rd party service, like imgurl, or google drive - you can get an URL to the copy of the image that is hosted on that service. Other machines on the internet will not be able to see your local copy of the image. But they will be able to view the image that is hosted at the URL that was assigned to your uploaded image. If that makes sense?!

Normally, your browser uses the http, or https protocol to view web-pages. But you can also view local files in your browser using the file:// protocol and supply the path to the file and the browser will treat it as if it was an URL and will display the file (if it is a file-format it can recognise and display).

e.g.
If you have a picture at /home/you/Pictures/myPic.jpg - if you wanted to - you could view it in your browser by typing file:///home/you/Pictures/myPic.jpg in your browsers address bar.

Again - this ISN'T viewing your local file over the network - your file cannot be seen by other machines on the internet. By using the file:// protocol - you are simply telling your browser that what comes after file:// is a path to a local file. And if it's a file-format that is supported by your browser - your browser will display it for you!

And when you upload an image to a post here, using the attach files option - it uploads your local file to Linux.org and then the uploaded copy of your image will have an URL associated with it, so it can be used in your post. Again, it does not refer to the image on your PC. Your local files are safe from prying eyes!

Just a note - that's imgur, not imgurl

Cheers

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts