CentOS Project shifts focus to CentOS Stream

@Dragonspirit - if your Post does not add to a Thread, just refrain from posting.

All of us agree with

In Linux what counts is that you download the iso, and test it...

But that does not apply here, and your capitalised words are just offensive.

Please adjust your posting practices, I do not like having to repeat myself continually.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

It doesn't count that you don't trust something new.. In Linux what counts is that you download the iso, and test it, add add your opinion and keen suggesting, to help brothers and sisters get their project running smoothly... Is what I did to every Linux distro out there.. So what if I wasted hundreds of hours and CD's... GET OVER YOURSELVES!..
You don't get the point, CenOS is a community project which was bought by RedHat a few years ago, CentOS is short for Community Enterprise Operating System. Companies who didn't need RHEL support have whole infrastructures running on CentOS, and since RHEL6 was almost EOL many of those companies were doing migrations to CentOS8. Now with this decision and the EOL being shortened to end of 2021 companies have to move everything running CentOS8 to something else within a year which is not realistic since it's not alot of time. Companies run CentOS because it's a binary clone of RHEL and now with CentOS Stream it will be upstream of RHEL and rolling release, companies don't want to run a rolling beta release but want to run something which is stable and they can count on. With this stunt Redhat screwed over the opensource community and killed an opensource project. As for myself yes, on my home server systems I like to have a stable OS and not rolling release since I don't want to have to spend much time maintaining it, to quote @KGIII "Setup and forget". I can find a different distribution and test it which I have already done, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion or reaction about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
Oh, man...

So, I figured I'd give Oracle's Linux a try in VirtualBox - you know, Oracle's VirtualBox...

I'm an idiot. See, I thought it'd actually be well integrated and polished. I'd use the latest VB with the latest Oracle Linux. I figured they'd go together well!

Nope... The cursor doesn't line up - meaning my mouse cursor is a good 4" away from where the virtual cursor is.

I figured that I'd fix the resolution issues, so I loaded the VBox tools. Oracle's Linux was kind enough to open and run it automatically - all I had to do was enter my password. Optimistic was I when I entered my password...

Nope. The VirtualBox addons will not work with Oracle Linux.

Yup, you got it. Oracle's Linux doesn't even properly work in Oracle's VirtualBox. There was nothing good about it. In fact, it was entirely awful.

I'm not sure why I'd expected otherwise. I should know better.

Anyhow, I think it's safe to scratch Oracle off the list of possible CentOS replacements. It was so bad that I can't even recommend testing it out in in a VM. It was that bad an experience.

Old Topic now, not a bump per se but new news to some.

Distrowatch have news on the following, which says in part

Rate this project
AlmaLinux OS is a binary-compatible rebuild of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux source codes. The distribution intends to be a drop-in replacement for CentOS Linux with long-term support. The project's first stable release is AlmaLinux OS 8.3. "We are very happy to announce that today we are releasing the first AlmaLinux OS stable version. That's right, you can go right ahead and download the stable version and use it everywhere you need a stable, reliable, Linux distribution. For some time now we also have the conversion script in our GitHub repository, so you can also convert your system to AlmaLinux OS stable using it if you don't feel like reinstalling from scratch. AlmaLinux OS, the forever-free open source enterprise-grade Linux is ready. So, after about four months since the decision to steer CentOS in a different path, you now have a 1:1 binary compatible drop-in replacement, with a very long support timeframe. You can use it for any general purpose computing need, in bare-metal installations, in virtual machines, in containers, on cloud providers."

It weighs in at a hefty download of over 8 GB - I do not know if anyone may be interested in trying this?

HTH

Wizard

I might try it but seems most of the CentOS community will be moving to RockyLinux and myself moved to SpringdaleLinux.

I'm just a simple desktop user, but I am also trying to pursue FreeBSD
I've got "no starch press Absolute FreeBSD by Michael Lucas" and will be taking a gander. Do we have a dedicated thread (would it be off topic) on here for FreeBSD - would you like to start one Stan ? since maybe you are maybe most familiar with it

I've got "no starch press Absolute FreeBSD by Michael Lucas" and will be taking a gander. Do we have a dedicated thread (would it be off topic) on here for FreeBSD - would you like to start one Stan ? since maybe you are maybe most familiar with it
I hate to think that I might be most familiar with BSD... I've only barely scratched the surface. But as the BSD's are a "competitor" to Linux-based systems, it may not be a welcome addition here, even in Off Topic. I have too little knowledge to steer any serious discussion about it.

But if you, Captain (or anyone), has interest in it, I would simply suggest following my path... try installing it in a virtual machine first, build up some confidence, and then install on bare metal. Just as with Linux, Google or DuckDuckGo will discover tons of resources that are available online.

One particular item I would note though... the BSD's have far less hardware support than Linux. That will often be frustrating and disappointing.

Last edited:
it may not be a welcome addition here, even in Off Topic.

I am pretty lenient. It'd be up to Wiz, methinks. I'd not delete a BSD thread in the off-topic section. In fact, I'd encourage it, but it has been a long, long time since I spent much time with a BSD other than GhostBSD.

Old Topic now, not a bump per se but new news to some.

Distrowatch have news on the following, which says in part

It weighs in at a hefty download of over 8 GB - I do not know if anyone may be interested in trying this?

HTH

Wizard
Installed but no way I am running a distribution that uses a code name like this.
Code:
[root@almalinux ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
AlmaLinux release 8.3 (Purple Manul)
Maybe not so strange if it's based off the name of this animal.

Last edited:
It'd be up to Wiz, methinks.

More likely up to @Rob , David if he has the time to comment.

It could fall under the purview of meeting Off Topic requirements, and if so, David or I could pin it so it does not drift off into the Outer Limits.

Dunno, let's see what the boss has to say. (more coffee)

Maybe not so strange if it's based off the name of this animal.

Cute - but your cat might get jealous and scratch your screen, @f33dm3bits :)

Wiz

More likely up to @Rob , David if he has the time to comment.

Yeah, it seems like an acceptable 'off-topic' post. We have one in there right now about Microsoft and Apple, so I don't really see any difference between the concepts.

I know that I don't object to such a thread. BSDs are a Unix replica, but I've got love for all of 'em. I cut my teeth with Unix back in the day. After DEC folded into Sun, we too became a Sun shop. My grad school research was partially sponsored (donated equipment) by DEC, so I both disclose my interests and my bias.

But, well, that was back in the late 80s and very early 90s. ;-)

Installed but no way I am running a distribution that uses a code name like this.
I can totally relate to this sentiment. I'm not very fond of code names, in general. I don't have them all memorized, and when someone says, "I'm running Tina Linux," it takes me awhile to figure it out. Yes, I'm old, and I'm grumpy. (And I'm a bit of a smart-arse, as has been noted!) ;)

Members online