centos life span

Leonardo_B

Reaction score
Credits
how often does centos get updated and upgraded ? Thinking to run it daily on my main pc

To add to the above...

CentOS gets updates as needed. That's the only answer I can give. Upgrades, as in new versions, aren't all that frequent.

It's also supported for extremely long periods of time (~10 years). The newest version of CentOS is supported until 31 May 2029. The rolling release CentOS Stream is supported theoretically forever.

Much of my online stuff is on CentOS. It's rock solid and consistent. It makes a great platform.

I've used it as a desktop OS, but wasn't really happy with it. You can, but it's painfully obvious that it's a server-oriented distro. I'd consider the rolling release as a desktop OS.

Hmm... I think I'm going to build a CentOS Stream VM and play with it this weekend.

Hmm... I think I'm going to build a CentOS Stream VM and play with it this weekend.
:) nice report back to us on how you feel about it . i was thinking the CentOS Stream too . i wanta rock solid something i don't have to change much.

I just installed CentOS Stream, at first glance it looks exactly the same as the normal version of CentOS except for that the minor version of the packages are higher in Stream but there are also packages that are the same version as in the normal CentOS. I'm kind of getting the idea that it's an in between option, so more like Fedora -> CentOS Stream -> CentOS. I always thought it was more of a rolling release, as @KGIII already stated CentOS is not the way to go for a desktop. A few years back I was running CentOS as desktop I ran into problems with not being able to install newer software because of older libraries and not being able to run certain games fully functional, then I would have to compile newer things and I would end up in and endless chain of compiling not something you want for a desktop. I would still recommend a rolling release distribution if you want to game and if you don't feel comfortable with a rolling release go for Fedora or Ubuntu.

ya i use to use fedora on other pc till it died might just go back to it . Ubuntu. is not bad . i been hearing good about arcolinux .I trying to remember the website i was useing that had a long list of os to choice from .

Last edited:
Yeah, I still haven't gotten around to installing it. It took quite a while to download and by the time it was done I was getting ready for bed. Then, I had familial things to accomplish today. Man, that ISO is huge.

CentOS as a server distro, first and foremost. It becomes obvious when you see the software defaults and choices. I've not tried Steam, but I'd expect it to still retain traits from the CentOS mentality. As F33d me said, it's in-between and that's what I'd expect. I'd expect it to be a rolling release - but rolling forward in a manner that still works to keep up the legendary CentOS stability. So, somewhere behind bleeding edge is where I'd expect it.

If you want truly bleeding edge, and a modicum of stability, I've had great experiences with openSUSE Tumbleweed. That one is so bleeding edge that it'll annoy the heck out of you, 'cause you'll spend more time updating than you do with most any other distro. Still, it's a fun distro and manages to remain stable enough.

If you want truly bleeding edge, and a modicum of stability, I've had great experiences with openSUSE Tumbleweed. That one is so bleeding edge that it'll annoy the heck out of you, 'cause you'll spend more time updating than you do with most any other distro. Still, it's a fun distro and manages to remain stable enough.
I've been running Arch for just over a year, I've had things break once or twice but usually within a day new updates get pushed to fix the problem. I don't really consider a rolling release distribution as unstable, they get more frequent updates so chances are higher that things may break, even the stable distributions have things break but that's because when updating software there is always the risks that something breaks.

Yes distrowatch is well know website to view all the different distributions that are available, there or some less well known ones that aren't listed on there but it's a good place to start if you are looking to try out something new to see what options are available with all the information about the distribution.

Staff online