Reaction score
Credits
Please advice on the best alternative for CentOS

I am hearing about -
Alma Linux
Rocky Linux
Oracle Linux

Thoughts ?

Rocky Linux because it's a community project.
Oracle can't be trusted.
No thoughts about Alma Linux.

Alma seems to work well.

I am not a fan of RHEL, however what I have read lately Rocky seems to be ahead of the pack as an alternative to CentOS
back to the old adage, what is best for me, may not be for you, download and give it a run from a pen drive, and make your own decision

There is also Springdale Open Enterprise Linux, made at Institute for Advanced Studies located at Princeton University. A very good rebuild of RHEL sourcecode.

Alma vs Rocky.. Well, Alma's management structure/project leadership has been designed so that it cannot suffer the same fate as CentOS. Rocky, I believe, is managed in much the same way that CentOS was.
If I should choose, I'd go with Alma.

But there is also the possibility of using RHEL. You can sign up for a developer subscription which costs nothing, and it gives you 16 entitlements IIRC that you can use in production environments too.

HTH

/tony

But there is also the possibility of using RHEL. You can sign up for a developer subscription which costs nothing, and it gives you 16 entitlements IIRC that you can use in production environments too.
Using subscription-manager is a PITA so you might as well run a Rhel clone so you don't have to deal with it, Rocky Linux's organization has been setup differently as well so that they don't get a repeating CentOS project situation and that is why it took so long for them to release a first version. When they announced the future of CentOS I converted my system to Springdale Linux 8, after Rocky Linux 8 was released I used their convert script to convert al my running systems with Springdale Linux 8 to Rocky Linux because of more people being involved and updates being release faster. Springdale Linux also ran just as well as any other Rhel clone I have run on my systems.

Using subscription-manager is a PITA so you might as well run a Rhel clone so you don't have to deal with it, Rocky Linux's organization has been setup differently as well so that they don't get a repeating CentOS project situation and that is why it took so long for them to release a first version. When they announced the future of CentOS I converted my system to Springdale Linux 8, after Rocky Linux 8 was released I used their convert script to convert al my running systems with Springdale Linux 8 to Rocky Linux because of more people being involved and updates being release faster. Springdale Linux also ran just as well as any other Rhel clone I have run on my systems.

Roger that, I can't say that I've had many issues with subscription-manager though :)

/tony

Roger that, I can't say that I've had many issues with subscription-manager though :)

Gotta agree with this one. I've had nary an issue.

Now, on to Oracle. I loathe Oracle, for reasons I don't want to get into here. I do love VirtualBox, however.

Want some fun? (It may be fixed by now.) Use both Oracle's distro and their virtualization software - and try to get their OS installed along with the tools. I spent a couple of hours working on it and it still didn't work properly. Oracle makes both products.

I also still use MySQL in some projects... Ugh...

We recently switched to Alma for some our edge systems.
Not because we like it better than Rocky, but because it has commercial support.

Staff online

Members online