CentOS 8 STREAM : Install Issues, [Black Screen]

JON_LUIS

Reaction score
Credits
Good Day Everyone,

I am currently having extreme difficulty, installing CentOS 8 STREAM, on my Star Labs MK II Lite. I’m green behind the ears when it comes to Linux, and purchased this laptop as it comes pre-installed with UBUNTU, which I believed was a great way to start things off on my Linux journey initially.

Unfortunately, I am currently stuck. I’ve been online trying to find a way to install CentOS and completely remove UBUNTU as my primary Distro. I solely would like CentOS and have no interest in a Dual Boot, Multiboot Scenario.

Currently, I have used the Disk Writer on UBUNTU, to make a USB Drive for CentOS, and have even tried the UNETBOOTIN option. Both have given me no luck, as when I boot from the GRUB, and INSTALL CentOS 8, I receive a black screen with no activity, no GUI, etc. Even went and tried the Basic Graphics option in TROUBLESHOOTING, Nothing...

I could use some serious expert help as soon as possible.

Thank you all!

Greetings Jon_Luis and Welcome!

As I was reading your post, I went back to where you said you were 'green behind the ears' when it comes to Linux. The question I have is: why did you pick Cent OS to replace Ubuntu? Just curious.

Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

Greetings Jon_Luis and Welcome!

As I was reading your post, I went back to where you said you were 'green behind the ears' when it comes to Linux. The question I have is: why did you pick Cent OS to replace Ubuntu? Just curious.

Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

Thanks you for your response and your time.

CentOS 8 STREAM , from what I’ve researched, is a much better platform to begin my Journey as Enterprise Software Developer, by comparison to UBUNTU. So I’d like to begin my Linux Education, on the Distro that will be best suited to my future development.

There were only DEBIAN based options upon purchase of my laptop, otherwise I would’ve went with a REDHAT option at the very least.

I've installed 100's, no probably thousand of redhat servers (no exaggeration).
I've had pretty good luck with rufus. If you use rufus, make sure you use dd mode, not iso mode.
Redhat doesn't like it.

The question I have is: why did you pick Cent OS to replace Ubuntu? Just curious.

For a desktop OS (laptop?) centOS wouldn't be my first choice.
But for real data center/server operations I would choose redhat/centOS/fedora over Ubuntu
simply because of the server tools available. Built-in clustering, cluster file system support, teaming NICs, bonding NICs, "in place" rolling kernel updates (without reboot). The ability to roll back to a previous version simply by selcting an option in grub, LTS stability testing, and the biggest support team in Linux (not free, but cost wasn't mentioned).

I've installed 100's, no probably thousand of redhat servers (no exaggeration).
I've had pretty good luck with rufus. If you use rufus, make sure you use dd mode, not iso mode.
Redhat doesn't like it.

Thanks for the response!

I was able to get CentOS on a USB with others, but couldn’t get the GUI to launch when I was in the GRUB. Would Rufus change that initial error?

or could there be something else detracting me from moving forward?

Members online