CentOS 7 Everything ISO - Won't Load Desktop Enviroment

bj53kjh

Reaction score
Credits
I just installed CentOS 7 Everything ISO and all I get is a command line login. I login sucessfully; but I can't get the DE (which should be MATE) to start.

First guess is to use this command:
Code:
startx

If that isn't it, I'd have to Google around for more info.

This info seems older, but it still may work. This info seems a bit more modern, but both of these may work.

If you are not very familiar with Linux, is there any particular reason you are starting with a server distro instead of something that is more user-friendly for beginners? I'm not sure, but I don't think MATE will be their desktop, unless you have installed it manually. We can find out after you get the desktop to load.

Cheers

This info seems older, but it still may work. This info seems a bit more modern, but both of these may work.

If you are not very familiar with Linux, is there any particular reason you are starting with a server distro instead of something that is more user-friendly for beginners? I'm not sure, but I don't think MATE will be their desktop, unless you have installed it manually. We can find out after you get the desktop to load.

Cheers

This is my first "server" distro.

Okay, try the steps in my second link above... for the "more modern" method. It is making a permanent change so that CentOS will boot to the GUI, so hopefully that is what you want.

Oops, that link also says how to start the GUI now, so if that works, it should work to make the change permanent as it describes afterwards.

See section 3 of this link:
https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7.1804?action=show&redirect=Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7

The"everything" iso contains all of the packages that are available for centos, but it looks like the everything image will only perform a minimal, headless, command-line only server install by default. I'm not sure it will install X or any desktop environments.

Post install, you'd need to mount the installation media and use that to install any additional/missing packages and then perform the required steps (as per Stan's post) in order to start the GUI.

Or just use dnf or yum to download and install packages via the internet, before starting the GUI.

From reading the release notes - it looks like you should have gone with the dvd edition. That looks like it would have given you the option to install a desktop/GUI...

Hi @bj53kjh and welcome to linux.org :)

Was the .iso you downloaded named like this?

CentOS-7-x86_64-Everything-1804.iso

If Jas (@JasKinasis) is on the money, and he usually is :D , then you might be better with

CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveGNOME-1804.iso

OR

CentOS-7-x86_64-LiveKDE-1804.iso

Those files could initially end in .torrent if you use that for downloading rather than Mirrors/http

I don’t use CentOS currently, but run a number of other RPMbased Distros like Fedora, Mageia and Gecko (based on openSUSE), none of them Server per se.

However if you let us know which one you go for, I can try it and follow along.

Couple of quick questions:

1. Is CentOS going to be the only Distro on the box? If not, what other OSes/Distros are you running alongside it?

2. Could you give us some specs for your computer, which can be done by going to Terminal, typing in and entering [inxi -Fxs] ?

3. Do you know how to check sha256?
Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Last edited:

Members online