cdrom not showing MX Linux-19

Jose Acosta

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
Sort of new to Linux and I could use some help.
I'm running MX Linux 19.4 x64 on a custom built machine I was using for Windows. Now a dedicated Linux machine. All hardware is fairly new.

I have an internal Asus CDROM installed but it doesn't show up in devices? As I said I'm new to Linux and I can't seem to find the right command to mount the CD drive. I also can't seem to find any utility software that could help with this. I put in a music cd in the drive hoping it would automatically mount the drive but that didn't happen.

Gparted only shows my sda, sda1, sdb, sdb1, sdc, sdc1, sdc2 and sdc3 drives.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Welcome to the forums,
dose it work if you put a cd in? if so try looking in computer/mycomputer

brickwizard,
It doesn't work putting in the cd. Pardon my ignorance... "computer/mycomputer"? Are you referring to my Home folder? Sorry, like I said I'm new to Linux.

MX-19.4_x64 patoto feo May 2020
Kernel: 4.19.0-18-amd64 x86_64
Asus ROG STRIX X570-E motherboard with i7 processor
32gig ram

I've tried "sudo mount -t iso9660 -o IO /dev/cdrom /cdrom" but I'm not even sure this is the right command

Thanks

Go into the menu and look for MX Tools and open it and look for codecs installer.

Click the codecs installer icon and enter your password if asked and follow the prompts.

When finished reboot your computer and insert your music cd into the tray and see what happens.

https://averagelinuxuser.com/assets/images/posts/2020-11-04-mx-linux-review/4-mxtools.jpg

brickwizard,
Worked like a charm, much appreciated!

I'd really like to give Linux a fair shot. But sometimes issues like this give me doubts.
But I'm not ready to give up just yet. Any chance you can direct me were I could have found this info? I read the entire manual for MX Linux and I didn't come across this bit of information. Unless i missed it somehow?

Thanks

I'd really like to give Linux a fair shot. But sometimes issues like this give me doubts.
But I'm not ready to give up just yet. Any chance you can direct me were I could have found this info? I read the entire manual for MX Linux and I didn't come across this bit of information. Unless i missed it somehow?

Thanks
I've only been using Linux for maybe 2 months and have installed several different Linux distros trying them out.

I scan the forums of the Linux distro I install and look for any Linux how to knowledge and find solutions for problems I have.

I search for what is needed to do after a brand new Linux install and create a folder using LibreOffice Writer.

After creating a folder I copy the folder to a usb flash drive to set up the next Linux install.

Enable GUFW Firewall
Install Firejail sandbox
Set up browser
Install Codecs

Learn by using and doing and don't be afraid to break your Linux by trying things that's what Timeshift is for.

Welcome to Linux.org and glad you got it working. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jose Acosta , please edit post#5 to show old timer's name as the person you are thanking

Any chance you can direct me were I could have found this info? I read the entire manual for MX Linux and I didn't come across this bit of information.
You found it right here! LOL ;) And well done, @old timer!

Take your time, Jose... because it takes time. Manuals are good (when they're available) but make Google your friend and hone your skill at how to ask it the right questions. There are few questions or problems that have not been covered before. And of course there is much help here too. But you also begin to develop a sense, a feeling, about Linux and how it works as you use it more and more. I think that @old timer might be exceptionally intuitive though... having used Linux for such a short period himself.

Stan,
Yeah, taking my time is not one of my strong traits:) But I am getting better at it.
Back about 5 years ago I tried Linux and I was on the forums and I kept seeing "rtfm".

I wasn't ready for it and I stuck to windows. But Win is getting more and more frustrating and I decided it was time I try Linux again. I was hesitant in posting. Thinking the first thing I was going to see was a post by some one instilling the "rtfm" line to me. So I preceded that by reading the manual, but not seeing what I was looking for brought me here. I've been on my computer since 8AM messing with different things .The CD issue was just part of that. I'm actually enjoying it and trying to get accustomed to the CLI

Thanks

Hang in there! And try not to get discouraged. Yes, you will still get "rtfm" from some of us, some of the time... but I hope that it doesn't come across as mean-spirited. Manuals (and man pages) are excellent tools... that's why people take the time to write them. But, sadly, experience is the best teacher, and that's usually means a bad experience. We've all been there.

If you don't want to keep re-installing Linux over and over again... you will probably want to learn and get comfortable with Timeshift. It will help you to restore a broken system more easily. Personally, I'm hard-headed and I keep re-installing... or switching to something different. So I have had a lot of "good teachers" (bad experiences). :eek::oops:;)

I hear you and thanks for the encouragement. Now off I go on a "Timeshift" quest.
Thanks

I hear you and thanks for the encouragement. Now off I go on a "Timeshift" quest.
You don't have to go far. One of our admins, @wizardfromoz, has a thread about Timeshift here. It's a long read but has a lot of information. You can ask questions there too, and Chris will be happy to help. :)

by some one instilling the "rtfm" line to me
When I started with linux the standard attitue was "well you installed it you you should know what your doing" well thankfully in the last 20 years most forums have softened, ok some are still like it but thankfully not many, most of us on here tru to stick the friendly basic language when possible

Members online