caution

P

peter3

This is my 1st post. The first time I tried with MSIE 11 the dialogue box would not open so I apologize for that.
I am using Chrome.
I used Unetbootin to create a pen drive which created Ubuntu 12.04. I noticed it said in the upper left,"Caution the world can write to this." Should I remake the pendrive as I am concerned for security. Is there a fix for this?
I downloaded 53 updates+ perhaps that helped. I allowed for 3gb persistence on a 15 GB drive.
Again I am sorry for the MSIE 11 posts and thank you.
I am a novice with Linux but hope to learn as I can handle Windows fairly well - 8.1, 6 GBs ram and 1T HD.
Peter

This is my 1st post. The first time I tried with MSIE 11 the dialogue box would not open so I apologize for that.
I am using Chrome.
I used Unetbootin to create a pen drive which created Ubuntu 12.04. I noticed it said in the upper left,"Caution the world can write to this." Should I remake the pendrive as I am concerned for security. Is there a fix for this?
I downloaded 53 updates+ perhaps that helped. I allowed for 3gb persistence on a 15 GB drive.
Again I am sorry for the MSIE 11 posts and thank you.
I am a novice with Linux but hope to learn as I can handle Windows fairly well - 8.1, 6 GBs ram and 1T HD.
Peter

Hi Peter. I just looked at Unetbootin in Windows 7 and this message was not present. I presume it is just a Windows 8 / 8.1 message. I can not see this as being an issue. Ultimately you should back up everything before considering installing Linux along with Windows. I have done this many times however personally I don't recommend it. Also I think you should go to Ubuntu website and get 13.10 as I do not know if 12.04 supports secure boot that is in Windows 8 / 8.1. If you do not know what you are doing you can easily lose everything and may need to re-install Windows. Good luck.
Steve

Last edited:
Hi Peter. I just looked at Unetbootin in Windows 7 and this message was not present. I presume it is just a Windows 8 / 8.1 message. I can not see this as being an issue. Ultimately you should back up everything before considering installing Linux along with Windows. I have done this many times however personally I don't recommend it. Also I think you should go to Ubuntu website and get 13.10 as I do not know if 12.04 supports secure boot that is in Windows 8 / 8.1. If you do not know what you are doing you can easily lose everything and may need to re-install Windows. Good luck.
Steve

Hello Steve and thank you for replying. I should have told you that I have the older BIOS not UEFI.
I image with Macrium.
That odd message appeared when Ubuntu 12.04 first opened then disappeared. It was not at the UNetBootin site.
It was not there until I booted from the Pen Drive.
Do you think I am ok if I keep things as they are to reduce the risk of error as I tried many times before I succeeded or do you still think I should try to create 13.04 LT or 13.04 ?
I am unclear about the danger you mention as I know of no other way to create this pendrive except with Windows. Any information would help.
Thank you very much
Peter

Members online