Career Path confusion

Alkan

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

This is my first post and I apologize in advance if this has been talked about already. I need some career advice as I read mixed opinions on google and understand this question has many variables.

I would like to become a linux admin one day but want to know how much programming experience is required to get my foot in the door. I enjoy bash scripting but languages like Java or Python didn’t come naturally to me. Is it realistic to expect to be a linux admin and avoid learning programming languages like Python and Java? Which beginning certifications would you recommend getting? It appears Linux+ seems to be a good choice according to google.

Currently I’m finishing a masters degree in information technology but understand certifications matter most.

Thanks,
Alkan

Currently I’m finishing a masters degree in information technology but understand certifications matter most.
Greetings @Alkan, and welcome! This debate has long raged on this forum, and others. Opinions and experiences vary... widely. So, in my own humble opinion, I would say the Linux+ is useless to you (I have that one myself). It's an entry-level cert that doesn't pair well with your soon-to-be advanced degree. If you're looking for certifications, investigate the skills needed for SysAdmin or System Engineer from Red Hat or The Linux Foundation. Get those skills, and not only by studying exam-crams and brain-dumps. With your degree, with advanced certs, and with true learned skills... you will likely have no trouble finding work or achieving promotions.

But the fun doesn't stop there. Technology (computers, electronics, AI, etc) moves at the pace of rockets! You pretty much need to make a lifelong commitment to learning to stay afloat. I'm too lazy for that! :D (And I am retiring in just 4 more weeks. :D:D:D)

Good luck to you!

Cheers

Greetings @Alkan, and welcome! This debate has long raged on this forum, and others. Opinions and experiences vary... widely. So, in my own humble opinion, I would say the Linux+ is useless to you (I have that one myself). It's an entry-level cert that doesn't pair well with your soon-to-be advanced degree. If you're looking for certifications, investigate the skills needed for SysAdmin or System Engineer from Red Hat or The Linux Foundation. Get those skills, and not only by studying exam-crams and brain-dumps. With your degree, with advanced certs, and with true learned skills... you will likely have no trouble finding work or achieving promotions.

But the fun doesn't stop there. Technology (computers, electronics, AI, etc) moves at the pace of rockets! You pretty much need to make a lifelong commitment to learning to stay afloat. I'm too lazy for that! :D (And I am retiring in just 4 more weeks. :D:D:D)

Good luck to you!

Cheers

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and very helpful reply. I am so glad I asked about the certifications as I didn’t realize linux + is probably not the best idea. I look forward to using this community as a resource and am so glad I joined today!

This is a great place, and there are many smart folks here... much smarter than me! :eek::confused::D And as I said, you'll probably get some varying opinions about this... nothing wrong with that. With your career goals, we hope that you stick around and help teach as well. :D

You don't have to know programming languages to be a Linux admin, just a Linux programmer :). You can do your repetitive administrative work using Bash scripts. But like Atanere said, get your Certs from Red Hat and/or Linux Foundation. I could be mistaken but I believe all major companies use Red Hat for their server OS (the one I have worked for for 20 years does) and a cert from them will be most impressive.

You don't have to know programming languages to be a Linux admin, just a Linux programmer :). You can do your repetitive administrative work using Bash scripts. But like Atanere said, get your Certs from Red Hat and/or Linux Foundation. I could be mistaken but I believe all major companies use Red Hat for their server OS (the one I have worked for for 20 years does) and a cert from them will be most impressive.

Members online

Latest posts