Cant transfer files between Windows 10 and Kali Linux

kalilinuxnewb

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
First off I'm a newb at Linux, I'm currently using Kali Linux on Windows 10 machine using Virtual Desktop.
I'm having problems when trying to share folders from Windows 10 to Kali, my command is:

sudo mount.cifs //Win10/Users/folder/ /home/insomniac/Desktop/folder/ -o user=username

everytime i do this i get exact same error:
mount error(111): could not connect to 127.0.1.1Unable to find suitable address.

I tried doing this on root to no effect. I've already spent too many hours on this, tried researching the problem - no luck so far.

I would gladly appreciate any help.

sudo mount.cifs //Win10/Users/folder/ /home/insomniac/Desktop/folder/ -o user=username

What is the output of ...

ping Win10

At first glance, it appears your Linux system doesn't know the IP of your Windows system.

mount error(111): could not connect to 127.0.1.1Unable to find suitable address.

127.0.0.1 means "myself". I am pretty sure your Windows system does not have the same IP address your Windows system.

Why Kali? Why try to run before you can walk? If you are new to Linux and start with something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

No idea what virtualization software you are using but I think some virtualization software allows to share folders between hosts. But looking at that Kali doesn't know the name Win10 and maybe you have to open the samba ports as well on your Windows host so that your vm can access the samba ports.

Last edited:
Thank You all for replying.
As to why Kali I just thought it didn't look so terrifying and you could have it on your windows PC, at the time I had no idea about other options. I also didn't know it was any harder then other versions.

I think I'll go with Samba then...

Start with Linux Mint or Ubuntu, if you want to learn Linux.

To share files from Linux to Windows, you can use a tool like Samba.

I usually don't have to do a full samba install. All I usually need is cifs-utils.

Thank You all for replying.
As to why Kali I just thought it didn't look so terrifying and you could have it on your windows PC, at the time I had no idea about other options. I also didn't know it was any harder then other versions.

I think I'll go with Samba then...
Just in case it's not clear from your reply, Samba is a program that runs within an operating system. Kali, Ubuntu and Linux Mint are operating systems. Samba is a program that is installed on the operating system and provides cross platform file and printer sharing with MS and linux and other operating systems.

Members online