Can't see Brother printer/scanner in Simple Scan

wootcat

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all. I just installed Mint 19.3 yesterday and have been slowly setting up my system.
I installed the Brother printer/scanner drivers using this guide (https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/brother-printers.html), but when I test with Simple Scan, there's no scanner to select and the program hangs for a few seconds before saying there was a problem. Printing works fine.
The printer I have is a B&W Laser Combo HL-L2395DW.

G'day wootcat, and Welcome to linux.org

Did you follow the instructions on THIS PAGE carefully ?

There are a number of small details there that would bring the whole shown unstuck if not followed properly
eg
10. Now you may have to solve a problem with the scanner. In 64-bit Linux Mint 19.x and Ubuntu 18.04 the location for the supporting library files has changed, and the driver for the scanner feature doesn't always take that into account. The Brother driver then puts them in /usr/lib64, whereas your operating system expects them in /usr/lib.

.....that is just one of them.

On a side note, just reading the instructions for that Brother printer, has had me reassess the brands I will l,ook at when it comes time for us to buy a printer (Very soon !)
The instructions are detailed enough to make me take notice. I like that. It shows that quite a bit of thought and research has gone into the process.

G'day wootcat, and Welcome to linux.org

Did you follow the instructions on THIS PAGE carefully ?

There are a number of small details there that would bring the whole shown unstuck if not followed properly
eg
10. Now you may have to solve a problem with the scanner. In 64-bit Linux Mint 19.x and Ubuntu 18.04 the location for the supporting library files has changed, and the driver for the scanner feature doesn't always take that into account. The Brother driver then puts them in /usr/lib64, whereas your operating system expects them in /usr/lib.

.....that is just one of them.

On a side note, just reading the instructions for that Brother printer, has had me reassess the brands I will l,ook at when it comes time for us to buy a printer (Very soon !)
The instructions are detailed enough to make me take notice. I like that. It shows that quite a bit of thought and research has gone into the process.
Yes! That is actually the first guide I found and followed to install the Brother drivers. I followed all the steps carefully, even the ones you pointed out about changing the directory.

The only spot that was weird was the last step in the Brother script. It asks for an IP address, but the directions on the page tell you to reboot right after the previous step (selecting Auto), so I canceled out of the script at the point where it asks for the IP and rebooted as the directions stated.

Printer worked. Scanner didn't.

Later on, I ran through the installation again and this time I entered the IP address of the printer. Again, printer worked. Scanner didn't.

There is a YouTube video...
I'm not sure what that video was supposed to show me, but that was only a small subset of the instructions found by the other poster here. Only about 30 seconds of it even applied.

Members online