Can't resize partition in gparted

A

Andrew A. Robinson

GpartedScreenshot-02-13-17.png

I'm having trouble with my partitions in gparted. I have Ubuntu 16.04 (/dev/sda5) and Mint 18.1 (/dev/sda2) installed on this dual-boot laptop. I had each setup with 140.15GB of space. When I noticed that I was getting fairly low on space in Ubuntu, I decided to shrink Mint by 20Gb and grow Ubuntu by the same amount. Shrinking Mint was no problem, but now that space is just unallocated, since gparted won't allow me to grow the Ubuntu partition to use the new unallocated space. Is that because they are not adjacent? Is there a workaround?

I cannot emphasize enough that you should backup anything important before you resize any partitions! Seriously!

The gparted.org website says this, "In order to add space to a partition, unallocated space must be available immediately adjacent to the partition." So, as it stands now, you cannot increase your Ubuntu partition with the free space you created.

Now, the following is a guess! Don't try it unless you are comfortable, and unless you have good backups and/or are ready to reinstall everything from scratch (which would let you create new partition sizes more to your needs if that happens). Or unless someone else gives you more knowledgeable advice one way or the other.

So, what if you added that unallocated space to your Shared Data at /dev/sda6.... and then shrink that again by 20GB? If that partition has data scattered all over, then it may not free up space "toward the Ubuntu partition" and it may simply put it back to the left where it is now. But if it does free the space up to be adjacent to Ubuntu, then you have a chance to make this work. But I am also very concerned about the dark grey shaded area at the right end of the Shared Data partition as it appears in your screen shot. I've never seen that before, and it may represent unmovable blocks that would also probably keep this trick from working.

This is all risky stuff, and I don't want you to break your system. One last thing, but you probably know this: partitions have to be unmounted to use gparted... so you will have to run gparted from Mint to attempt these changes to the Shared Data and Ubuntu partitions, if you decide to try it. Good luck! Or I hope you get a better solution!

Cheers!

View attachment 2520Shrinking Mint was no problem, but now that space is just unallocated, since gparted won't allow me to grow the Ubuntu partition to use the new unallocated space.

Is that because they are not adjacent? Is there a workaround?

Spot-on. Unallocated space must be adjacent to the partition you intend to enlarge.

Backup advice properly taken... The only way you'll be able to increase sda5 the way you want is by taking @atanere words for it (let sda6 eat that 20GB then release it at its end and take it over with sda5).

Any application that could automagically do it for you would just automatize the whole thing.

I, too, had partitioning problems in the past, my friend. Mine were partition number limit related on non-GPT schemes though. Converting your table to GPT can ease a lot of headache sometimes, but that just isn't the case here hehe

Staff online

Members online