Can't Move Desktop Icons Where I want them

sparks79

Reaction score
Credits
I am using Fedora 37 Cinnamon.
I have many Icons on My Desktop.
They vary from Shortcuts to Internet Sites to System Apps etc.
I have Unticked Auto-Arrange and I can Place them almost Anywhere on the Desktop that I want.
But there is One Annoying Behaviour that I can't figure out.
If I Try and Place one of my Shortcuts Say 1/2" away it will Snap to the next Position, like the width of of the Icon itself.
Some time back in another Distro I came accross some Setting that would enable me to gain full precise Positioning of them.
But I just can't seem to find that setting in fedora.
Mybe I need some other App for that.
Any help help would be appreciated.

The first solution at the top of this Google search looks like it should work.

Hold Ctrl, Alt and Shift at the same time, then left click and drag the icon of your application. You'll create a new shortcut that you can cut and paste to any folder you like, including the desktop.

Here's the search:

The first solution at the top of this Google search looks like it should work.

Hold Ctrl, Alt and Shift at the same time, then left click and drag the icon of your application. You'll create a new shortcut that you can cut and paste to any folder you like, including the desktop.

Here's the search:
Thanks for the thought, But my problem is not with Creation or Move to the Desktop.
If you Read my post, you will see it's with Fine Positionin Control of the Location of the Shortcut on the Desktop

Sorry, I was trying to help you find a solution.
I'm not an expert with the Cinnamon DE.

Last edited:
But I just can't seem to find that setting in fedora.
1. Right-click on an open area of the desktop.

2. Choose Customize

3. Click-and-drag the slider controls (bottom and right edge of window) to adjust both horizontal and vertical "grid spacing" of your icons until they are acceptable.

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can disable the grid completely so that your icons can "free float" anywhere you want on the desktop. You may want to rename (shorten) some of your icon names to help with your desired alignment.

Last edited:
After looking around the net I can see I am not alone with this problem and so far it seems Unresolvable .
After all it's only a minor preference , so I will just put up with it.
Thanks to all.
For me that's end of discussion

After all it's only a minor preference , so I will just put up with it.

Actually, you don't have to, if you don't want to.

The "snap to grid" and the alignment are actually two slightly different processes.

I achieved, yesterday, what I think the OP is looking for, and can give a blow by blow on how to effect same if he is still interested.

I also managed yesterday to blow up my Fedora 37 Cinnamon (totally unrelated cause) and have been reinstalling it today. When I have completed customising it, I can provide a guide.

It takes a few steps, but it is not overly complicated. Those steps simply involve installing dconf-editor, turning off the snap to grid, turning off the alignment function and then Bob's Your Uncle.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I believe that the below screenshot illustrates the functionality the OP was looking for. He wanted to be able to place desktop icons exactly where he wanted them, circumventing alignment and the grid, and for example to place one in the middle.

JZkuRBi.png

I had Nemo open as a comparative for icon sizes, and where my cursor is with Network, that is exactly in the middle, because it is directly underneath my builtin webcam.

I will outline my methods in a separate thread that I will post soon.

Cheers

Wizard

Actually, you don't have to, if you don't want to.

The "snap to grid" and the alignment are actually two slightly different processes.

I achieved, yesterday, what I think the OP is looking for, and can give a blow by blow on how to effect same if he is still interested.

I also managed yesterday to blow up my Fedora 37 Cinnamon (totally unrelated cause) and have been reinstalling it today. When I have completed customising it, I can provide a guide.

It takes a few steps, but it is not overly complicated. Those steps simply involve installing dconf-editor, turning off the snap to grid, turning off the alignment function and then Bob's Your Uncle.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Guess who's back , and this time I'm back on Linux. I actually have windows and fedora on different drives now. And you have julted my memory, I think I can recall doing something with Dconf a couple of years ago. So I will give that a try and report back.
Thanks very much, CHEERS

• beer
Reactions: Zev

Members online