Can't Mount 2nd HDD in Mint

manover

Reaction score
Credits
here is the error is gives.
JUhCX6E.png

What does this mean? I can open the drive in Windows, but not linux

Windows 10 does not "shut down" when you tell it to... it hibernates. That makes it seem like it boots faster. So, in other words, Windows is still running.... and Linux refuses to mount it to protect you.

If you instead tell Windows to "restart" and then enter Linux, that should work. If you want a permanent solution, you need to disable the hibernation "feature" in Windows power settings. You may need to disable "fast boot" in UEFI settings too.

EDIT: I should have included Windows 8 also since you just reinstalled that. Both 8 and 10 use hibernation as a technique for faster starting, especially on laptops. That is my guess as the reason you can't mount the drive.

Windows 10 does not "shut down" when you tell it to... it hibernates. That makes it seem like it boots faster. So, in other words, Windows is still running.... and Linux refuses to mount it to protect you.

If you instead tell Windows to "restart" and then enter Linux, that should work. If you want a permanent solution, you need to disable the hibernation "feature" in Windows power settings. You may need to disable "fast boot" in UEFI settings too.

EDIT: I should have included Windows 8 also since you just reinstalled that. Both 8 and 10 use hibernation as a technique for faster starting, especially on laptops. That is my guess as the reason you can't mount the drive.
I'll give it a shot right now.

So I turned off the feature in power setting in Windows, restarted, now I'm in Linux and I can see the drive. Thanks! I didn't know that about the newer windows.

I love it when a plan comes together :D

Enjoy your dual-booting, @manover and nice work Stan :cool: ! (@atanere)

Wizard

I love it when they are the more simple problems like this... much more my speed! :D:confused::D

Glad you're up and running @manover! It's nice when things are working properly.... but I have found that I learn more when they're broken! :eek::D

Cheers