can't install Libre Office

dajlano

Reaction score
Credits
Hello people. when I try to install Libre Office, I get the message "could not open- archive type not supported".
Attached is a screenshot.

Does anybody know what the problem is?

Background info: My Thinkbook actually came with Libre Office already installed with version 7.0.4.2. However I wanted the Esperanto user interface (which as far as I can tell is only available in 7.0.4. For that reason, I uninstalled version 7.0.4.2 so that I could try to install this one in it's place.

thanks!

Attachments

• Ekrankopio de 2021-01-09 14-51-21 error when trying to install Libre.png
    Ekrankopio de 2021-01-09 14-51-21 error when trying to install Libre.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

They are the same version - did you download with the deb package? or rpm package? you don't say what Linux you are on makes a difference, but from the photo you downloaded the deb file, but the end of the file looks incorrect usually it is .tar.gz not .tar-1
Did you download from libreoffice.org?
Normally you have to extract the contents to an empty folder, you cannot install from that file, once extracted you will get a couple of folders look for the one that says DEBS and open that you will now see a bunch of deb packages inside - right click inside that folder and open a terminal there and run
Code:
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
this will install them

First,

Untar the deb file, OR if this does not result in just the .deb extension in the name,
try renaming the archive to just the .deb extension

Then do as Lord Boltar suggests. See if this works.

They are the same version - did you download with the deb package? or rpm package? you don't say what Linux you are on makes a difference, but from the photo you downloaded the deb file, but the end of the file looks incorrect usually it is .tar.gz not .tar-1
Did you download from libreoffice.org?
Normally you have to extract the contents to an empty folder, you cannot install from that file, once extracted you will get a couple of folders look for the one that says DEBS and open that you will now see a bunch of deb packages inside - right click inside that folder and open a terminal there and run
Code:
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
this will install them
First,

Untar the deb file, OR if this does not result in just the .deb extension in the name,
try renaming the archive to just the .deb extension

Then do as Lord Boltar suggests. See if this works.
thanks for all of your help.

I started researching about how to untar something and this involves opening the terminal.
Things involving the terminal are currently over my head. Perhaps I need to back up and get some extremely basic training.

do you have any suggestions on how i could acquire some extremely basic training on this type of thing? Would this be a large time commitment?

thank you,

when you go to download something often , rather to my irritation you get a dialog box giving me a choice of "open" or "save" did you click save ? or open . Did you try to save twice ? since then files will be named 1, 2 in suffix.

learning to unpack from command doesn't take long . if say on slackware i have a file called pkg.tar.gz , then to unpack it would be
Code:
tar xvzf pkg.tar.gz

if i tried to unack a RAR file i would also get "not supported file type" meaning i haven't installed software to work/unpack RAR files .

Depending on your file manager generally you can right click the file and look for the extract function - Thunar has this capability - and if it is a rar file you have to add unrar to your system via the Synaptic Package Manager

Staff online