Can't get started

Billtour

Reaction score
Credits
I'm very frustrated. I spent 20+ years in IT (until 2002) and can't figure this out. I just received a Linux Lite 5.0 on as bootable live usb flash drive. I'd like to replace Windows 7 on an older laptop, It boots fine. Where do I go for detailed instructions as to what to do? I can't install either of the printers on my home network. LinuxLite can see them, but I don't know how to get the drivers installed. Also, I can't update the OS - here is what I get:

=========================== Install Updates Error log =========================== Install Updates could not fetch the package cache information lists. Go to https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/ and paste the log below into a new or existing thread for assistance. ============ Log =========== Ign:1 cdrom://Linux Lite 5.0 - Release amd64 dists/ InRelease Ign:2 cdrom://Linux 20.04 - Release amd64 dists/ InRelease Err:3 cdrom://Linux Lite 5.0 - Release amd64 dists/ Release Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs Err:4 cdrom://Linux 20.04 - Release amd64 dists/ Release Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs Hit:5 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease Hit:6 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports InRelease Hit:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security InRelease Hit:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates InRelease Hit:9 http://repo.linuxliteos.com/linuxlite emerald InRelease Hit:10 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu focal InRelease Reading package lists... E: The repository 'cdrom://Linux Lite 5.0 - Release amd64 dists/ Release' does not have a Release file. E: The repository 'cdrom://Linux 20.04 - Release amd64 dists/ Release' does not have a Release file.

Billtour welcome,
Hang on you say it boot fine from usb I don't see mention of install.i am just waking up lol .any reason for liteos or your open to other distro.for printers I always go for hp due to hplip package which is present in slackware as default. Can we get specs for your laptop.bit odd usually there is at least one mirror uncommented in sources list.from a terminal : apt update
What's output.im a slackware user Debian's should be along later.

E: The repository 'cdrom://Linux Lite 5.0 - Release amd64 dists/ Release' does not have a Release file.
It looks like your "sources.list" file is looking for updates on the installation disk (USB).
You can 'comment out' the CD ROM (USB) to remove it from consideration.
"Hit"s 5 thru 10 seem to have reached their update repositories.

This page may explain it better;

Don't use the sample on that page to replace your sources.list. Just use it as a guide.

I did not install yet. I'd like be able to print before I install (HP Officejet 8022).
I chose LinuxLite because I'm replacing Windows 7 on my laptop (Acer 5517, TF-20 @1.6 Mhz, 64 bit, 4Gb RAM).
I downloaded HPLIP and executed it. It created a folder with a bunch of files, but I don't know what to do with it.
I looked for an apt command in Terminal, but there isn't one.
I found the sources.list file on the USB flash drive, but it's read-only. Probably the whole drive is read-only.
I get an error trying to do the updates. It talks about the CDROM and the apt command that doesn't seem to be there. Help apt says it's not.
Do I need to install before trying to do anything else?
Thanks for your quick response and your help. I'll get this working.

Without your Linux Lite actually being installed to the HDD I don't think you will be able to pull from the Linux Lite repositories for an update. AFAIK, you have to have an internet connection to connect to the repo's.

IF there is a way for Linux Lite (w/o being installed) to see your printer I honestly don't know how you would get the printer to work.

You may or may not have to install a driver for it. See the links that our Moderator, arochester posted for you.

HPLIP works great on my Linux Mint system with my HP Envy printer. :)

I downloaded HPLIP and executed it. It created a folder with a bunch of files, but I don't know what to do with it.

thats probably not the best way to get hplip. I've used HP printers for years since they are almost universally compatible with Slackware and many other OS because it should be easy to get the Distro's compatible hplip package from the particular Distro repo. generally you should always get packages from your Linux distro repo; unless it for advanced stuff. In order for you Linux system to keep things organized it needs to know what packages have been installed. Once you go down the route of getting source stuff and anything like :
Code:
configure 
make
make install

you are going to be responsible for managing manually conflicts , dependencies because putting it simply your system knows nothing about it, to my understanding .

I'm done fighting with this. I'll just print to a PDF file, copy it to my phone and print from there. I'll contact where I got the original OS on a flash drive and ask if there's a problem with it that they can fix. Thanks for your help.

G'day @Billtour and welcome to linux.org :)

I'll deal as briefly as I can with some of your issues and referencing the input provided by my friends above.

1. How to check your printer works before installing

2. How to get around that CD issue with updates

1. How to check your printer works before installing

Firstly

No need. It is already on your CD/USB Live Medium (stick).

Without starting the installer, on the Live medium

Go to

Menu - System - Package Manager

and choose Package Manager. This is Synaptic Package Manager, and you and it should make friends :)

In Synaptic, choose to Search or Quick Filter, and type in

hplip

hplip-linuxlite5.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - HPLIP IN SYNAPTIC

Help - Icon legend is useful, but in any event, it is both installed, and supported.

There are other libraries also already there for scanner, and other utilities.

If you wish to check the printer works, go

Menu - System - Printers to configure printers and work from there.

I used mine yesterday to check my Fuji-Xerox was both detected and works, worked like a charm.

HPLIP supports 2,800 printers so they say.

Make Google or Duck-Duck-Go your friend.

Under Google search

linux lite 5 hplip printers supported

I was led to Linux Lite's Manual ... useful

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/hardware.html

... bookmark it (but you can use it from the installed version also)

and from there to

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing

There I chose All Supported Printers

... and from there used Ctrl-f (find) to enter your HP Officejet 8022

Result was that

HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 All-in-One Printer series

is supported, so this will likely work for 8022 but I cannot say if any functionality is lost.

You would have to establish that.

If happy that the printer works

2. How to get around that CD issue with updates

Basically it is as friend Vrai said above

It looks like your "sources.list" file is looking for updates on the installation disk (USB).
You can 'comment out' the CD ROM (USB) to remove it from consideration.

To clarify that, stay in Synaptic Package Manager, or open it again, and choose

Settings - Repositories - Other Software

There may be one to two lines featuring reference to CD

If checked, uncheck them before proceeding to install.

Any questions, ask, but the Manual is good, as is Googling.

Friday here in Oz so

Avagudweegend

Ok. Here's what's happening when I try to add the HP Officejet 8022 printer (on the same network as the computer - no Internet at this point):
Menu, System, Printers, Add, Network Printer
The printer shows up on the list with it's IP address so I chose that
I chose "IPP Network Printer via DNS-SD"
It searched for the driver and displayed the "Describe Printer" screen. After clicking "Apply", I got a "Missing driver - Printer 'HP Officejet 8020 series' requires the '/usr/lib/cups/filter/-hpcups' program but it is not currently installed."
The printer shows up in the list of installed printers, but with a (!).

Wizard from oz - I get an internet connection, then, when I click Settings, Repositories I get the following:
"The repository information has changed - You have to click on the reload button for your changes to take effect." So I clicked on Reload and got the following:
"Downloading package information - The repositories will be checked for new, removed or upgraded software packages. Download rate. > Show individual files". When I click on "Show individual files, I see several file names and the word DONE next to them. Repeating this procedure always seems have the same result. There's nnever a place to click on "Other software".

Your thoughts?

@Billtour -- it appears to me that you may be frustrated because you feel you should know how to do this but you do not and do not listen to those trying to assist.
Printer 'HP Officejet 8020 series' requires the '/usr/lib/cups/filter/-hpcups' program but it is not currently installed."
tells the user to go to CUPS to install the driver. Yet you do NOT.
In the browser's address line, type in
Code:
localhost:631
to get to CUPS
Do not know if it will help you or not, from there, since I find that maybe the Linux driver is unavailable.
HP-0J-Pro-8022-driver_Linux.png

Maybe contact the all-knowing HP engineers for help if such is the case (after trying CUPS first).
They are probably kindred spirits of yours, IME. In any case,
Best wishes!

G'day Bill.

...tells the user to go to CUPS to install the driver. Yet you do NOT.

No, actually it doesn't apply here, I don't believe.

Bill is looking to verify if his printer will print from Live install medium, before installing Linux Lite on his computer.

Going to the CUPS site from live still requires you to enter a username and password to use the Admin facility to add a printer.

In LL Live, the userid is linux and the password is blank, if the screensaving/security measures kick in while you are using it, but these will not get you past the front door of CUPS site.

Bill I am beginning to think that your best bet might be to install, and take it from there. HP have a very good support for Linux in general.

Choice is yours of course.

Cheers

Wizard

Can't print w/o install is what OP was told.
When working for a contractor at HP in Boise, one engineer (not an all-knowing one) had me use the PRN command to do somehting similar.

Last edited:
Can't print w/o install is what OP was told.

No, he wasn't. Alex said, in part

...Without your Linux Lite actually being installed to the HDD I don't think you will be able to pull from the Linux Lite repositories for an update. AFAIK, you have to have an internet connection to connect to the repo's.

IF there is a way for Linux Lite (w/o being installed) to see your printer I honestly don't know how you would get the printer to work....

Further, you can often print from Live. I followed up saying, in part, in #9

I used mine yesterday to check my Fuji-Xerox was both detected and works, worked like a charm.

... and I have the Test Page to show for it.

BUT (& Wizard's but often follows close behind him), if it gets "bigger than Ben Hur" trying to get a driver configured under the Live scenario, then I advocate that Bill's time may be better spent installing Linux Lite and taking it from there.

With the Live scenario Bill is operating under, any changes he makes (as we know) to the USB stick will be lost when he reboots, unless he has Persistence, and need to be repeated next time he boots from the stick.

Under the installed environment, he has access to updates which will stick, and can enter and use CUPS online, if the inbuilt Printer Setup Utility in Lite does not help.

For the benefit of Bill, and other new users of Linux, CUPS is the Common UNIX Printing System, historically used by System Administrators, but nowadays available to the Home User.

Cheers

Wizard

Going back to my last post, I neglected to mention that I did install Linux Lite 5.0 from the stick and I believe the updates were applied before I posted that post. Printing seems to be the only issue and it is an issue regardless of whether I attempt to add my Epson wf2650 or my HP officejet 8022.
My only Internet is through my phone hot spot, so I don't always have Internet access enabled. Maybe that's a problem?

Understood.

I chose "IPP Network Printer via DNS-SD"

There is usually more than one option available at the point where you saw above.

Have you tried any of the other options (and what are they), and likewise for the Epson?

Wizard

FYI: I believe a similar topic was discussed january of this year, with @captain-sensible responding. regarding PRN files. I saw it earlier cannot find it now.

There is one other connection choice for the Epson: "LDP/LPR queue 'PASSTHRU'". The two connection options for the HP are "IPP Network Printer via DNS-SD" and "AppSocket/HP JetDirect".
When I choose "LDP/LPR ..." for the Epson, it searches for drivers, I can select the wf2650 and complete the description. Then I get the CUPS error "server-error-internal-error".
If I choose "IPP network ...", I get the same CUPS error right after the description screen.
For the HP printer, when I choose "IPP network ...", again, I get the same CUPS error right after the description screen. If I choose the "AppSocket ..." connection, I get a "missing driver" error stating that the "/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups" needs to be installed. I don't know how to do that. Then it asks me if I'd like to print a test page. I say OK, but get a "Printer configuration error".
I appreciate all your help. I hope to get this resolved.

Regarding this last post of mine - this was all done with no Iinternet access. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Members online