Can't get rid of grub command line after boot-up

frictionn

Reaction score
Credits
I searched the solutions to the grub command line appearing every time I boot up my system but nothing helped. I have dual booted Windows 11 and ZorinOS currently.
Whenever I boot-up, I get this command line where I have to press "reboot" to restart my laptop only to get the same interface multiple times. Sometimes, I get into the boot-loader after rebooting my systems 6 times.

Previously, I had dual booted W11 with Ubuntu and the same thing happened. Some people tried helping me on Reddit but that didn't work too. I tried reading and following the instructions from this article https://www.linux.com/training-tutorials/how-rescue-non-booting-grub-2-linux/ but I couldn't figure out anything. Also, does this have anything to do with Secure Boot? It's turned on on both W11 and ZorinOS. A guy on Reddit tried to help me and asked me to run some commands in the terminal. He didn't find anything wrong there. I have attached the output in this post.

Can anyone help me with this? I'll be really grateful. I want to learn a lot from using Linux but this experience only makes me not want to use Linux and I don't want that to happen.

Attachments

• cat.txt
    9.8 KB · Views: 419
  • treeoutput.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:

G'day @frictionn and welcome to linux.org :)

Your Post was held for approval, which happens when new members include a link, not sure why it took so long, regrets.

Just a few questions, and likely someone will be along to assist you further.

1. Brand, name, and model of computer please (any specs will help), I take it it is running under UEFI, as it has Windows 11?
2. Are you able to boot into Windows 11 and do you have a recovery plan for it?
3. Are you able to find the spot in your BIOS to disable Secure Boot if need be?
4. The Carla Schroder article you linked to is an old article but a good article. Did the computer boot you to a prompt saying just Grub, or Grub Rescue?

Others may have more questions, but answers to all the above would be a starting point.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

The answers to your questions are as follows:
1. I have an i5-10th gen laptop and yes, it is running under UEFI.
2. I can't directly boot into Windows 11. I mentioned this part in my post "Whenever I boot-up, I get this command line where I have to press "reboot" to restart my laptop only to get the same interface multiple times. Sometimes, I get into the boot-loader after rebooting my systems 6 times." The problem still persists.
3. Yes, I can see the option to disable Secure-Boot.
4. The system prompted me to a interface with only grub; not grub rescue.

I really appreciate for your help and apologize for the late reply.

Last edited:
I also tried using the "Boot Repair" tool from the Zoris OS live USB disk. It suggested me to turn off the secure boot to make it work properly. I generated the output of the execution. I have attached it here.

Thank you again.

Attachments

• Boot-Info_20211103_0959.txt
    26.6 KB · Views: 345