Cant get linux to boot on hp envy

I was goin to post some screenshots but its not lettin me because im a new user

I've had a similar problem with a different model of HP (Elitebook 6930p). The issue turned out to be with the utility that installed Linux onto the USB. Same as you it skipped the USB on my HP but worked on correctly on other computers and laptops.

When I used unetbootin ( unetbootin . sourceforge . net ) to create the USB it booted from the USB first time. I've never bothered to work out why cos it worked.

I'm sure there are other utilities available that will also work.

Hope it works for you.

Has anybody figured out how to this? I'm starting to think it's impossible...

Note that this is about the HP Envy X2... what works with other Envy's is not relevant here...

The Envy X2 has 32-bit UEFI.. and there appears to be no way to get around it... if anybody knows how, please provide a clue... because I can't find anybody who has gotten linux to run on this thing...

There's potentially bad news ahead if you're hoping to wipe the drive on that future HP Envy X2 and load Ubuntu -- Intel reportedly claimed at IDF that Clover Trail-based Atom processors "cannot" handle Linux properly. As outlined in The Inquirer's account of events, the issue is more a matter of optimization than an outright block: Linux doesn't yet know how to cope with all of Clover Trail's power state changes at the kernel level, which would put any penguin-powered PC at a disadvantage. Intel would really, really prefer that you runWindows 8, as the new Atom and Microsoft's OS are tuned to work hand-in-hand. Linux might catch up, but the Windows-only emphasis is a sharp break from Intel's tendency to shower love on open-source OS projects across the board, including ongoing work likeIntel-native Android builds or Tizen.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/14/intel-claims-clover-trail-based-atom-wont-properly-run-linux/

Thanks for that... but they were selling Envy X2's in Australia that came with linux, so I'm thinking there's some way to do it...

I just hope somebody at HP will get one of their serious tech guys involved in this... no reason to expect customer service people to be able to delve deep into something strange like this... I keep asking them, and they keep not doing it...

ryanvade, thanks for that...

any hints on how to install the microcode update and the '13 commit if it won't boot linux due to the 32-bit UEFI?

(I'm not a moron, but there's several tons of stuff I don't know...)

ryanvade, thanks for that...

any hints on how to install the microcode update and the '13 commit if it won't boot linux due to the 32-bit UEFI?

(I'm not a moron, but there's several tons of stuff I don't know...)
The microcode updates can be applied after you have a Linux distro running. I think it is possible to install microcode updates from Windows but you may have to wait for MS to distribute them.

The commits should be available in newer kernels. Kernel 3.18 or newer would be the best bet. Ubuntu 15.04 has the 3.19 kernel. Fedora 22 has kernel 4.0.0.

You may want to try Manjaro as well. It has the 3.18 LTS kernel but if you boot with nonfree drivers it will also install microcode updates. Of course this all assumes you can get to GRUB...

I'm afraid I am at a loss as to how to get a linux distro running on this thing... rest assured that this is due to ignorance, not brain damage...

If you or somebody else who has a clue could talk down to me about it, that would be great ;-)

Wait does this thing have 32bit Windows 8.1? If so then that is the problem. Linux(grub to be specific) cannot boot from 32bit EFI.

Also, from this forum thread it looks like the Envy x2 has serious USB boot issues:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...-x2-Can-Not-Boot-From-USB/td-p/2803205/page/3

This page has some instructions that *may* help in that situation:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/392719/32-bit-uefi-boot-support

Another possibility is to add a Linux boot option to the Windows boot loader with EasyBCD
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
I use the free version on my laptop to dual boot Arch with Windows 7.

Yep, it's 32-bit Win 8.1 with the damn 32-bit UEFI... (fascist software...)

Thanks for the suggestions... will try them when I get home next week...

Yep, it's 32-bit Win 8.1 with the damn 32-bit UEFI... (fascist software...)

Thanks for the suggestions... will try them when I get home next week...
I feel your pain! I've had an Envy X2 for about two years now. I recently went about setting linux on it with no success! Same problems and frustrations as you. However, I was able to get linux running via virtual box. It's really slow but I'm still playing around with it. I can reach the 'install' option, but given the boot problems of this unit, I haven't tried that yet! I opened a thread on Ubuntu Forums. Google: Virtual box won't boot on HP Envy X2. That should get you there. I have screenshots as proof of what I've done. The screenies are of Lubuntu, but I've also gotten the latest distro of Ubuntu running although that's even slower. I used LinuxLive usb creator to make the usb, and used that application to download a compatible version of Unbuntu/Lubuntu (important).

If you're familiar with the grub command line, I was able to boot my machine (not an envy X2, but an envy desktop with 64-bit UEFI) using it.
First off, you need a flash drive.
Then use dd to directly write a fedora ISO (netinstall works just fine)
boot into fedora menu (if you see a GUI, you've gone too far)
press c to get into grub2 command line
type
Code:
ls
[potential output]
(hd0) (hd0,apple3) (hd0,apple2) (hd0,apple1) (hd0,msdos2) (hd1) (hd1,gpt9)
(hd1,gpt8) (hd1,gpt7) (hd1,gpt6) (hd1,gpt5) (hd1,gpt4)(hd1,gpt3) (hd1,gpt2)
(hd1,gpt1) (cd0)
you should see a list of detected devices, including partitions located on each disk.
Then if you want to see whats on a partition, type, for example (don't forget the slash):
Code:
ls (hd1,gpt9)/
[potential output]
./ ../ stage3-amd64-20151015.tar.bz2 sys/ bin/ usr/ media/ root/ dev/ proc/
tmp/ boot/ run/ lib var/ lib32/ etc/ mnt/ home/ lib64/ opt/ sbin/ core.25358
You can also
Code:
ls (hd1,gpt[press tab]
[potential output]
        Partition hd1,gpt1: No known filesystem detected - Partition start at
1024KiB - Total size 1047552KiB
        Partition hd1,gpt2: Filesystem type fat - Label `SYSTEM', UUID
0245-285D - Partition start at 1048576KiB - Total size 368640KiB
        Partition hd1,gpt3: No known filesystem detected - Partition start at
1417216KiB - Total size 131072KiB
        Partition hd1,gpt4: No known filesystem detected - Partition start at
1548288KiB - Total size 840574976KiB
        Partition hd1,gpt5: No known filesystem detected - Partition start at
959563776KiB - Total size 460800KiB
        Partition hd1,gpt6: No known filesystem detected - Partition start at
960024576KiB - Total size 460800KiB
        Partition hd1,gpt7: No known filesystem detected - Partition start at
960486400KiB - Total size 16267364KiB
        Partition hd1,gpt8: No known filesystem detected - Partition start at
842123264KiB - Total size 33554432KiB
        Partition hd1,gpt9: Filesystem type ext* - Label `GENTOO' - Last
modification time 2015-11-12 17:12:05 Thursday, UUID
82697ec2-1a03-4b7a-f7ce2c06c401- Partition start at 875677696KiB - Total
size 83886080KiB
and it should give you a detailed list of the partitions on the volume
usually the one that mentions ext* is the one to choose.
If using the previous ls command gives you a list that includes two files (in the case of ubuntu) called vmlinuz and initrd.img, then you have just found the kernel and its initial ramdisk
to load it, type:
Code:
linuxefi (hdX,gptX)/vmlinuz [enter]
initrd (hdX,gptX)/initrd.img [enter]
boot [enter]
after pressing enter, hopefully your system should boot.

Last edited:
You can try the cd first, but it really shouldnt matter though I'd try. You'll need to get something to boot to change anything.