Cant get linux to boot on hp envy

S

Supunz

Hey guys, i recently got a hp envy x2 11inch laptop and it was painfully slow with windows 8. Ive always been a fan of linux and its community but never installed it coz i play games on my desktop.
Anyway ive tried to install linux mint, i put it on a usb and tried to boot it but it went straight to windows 8 even though i put boot priority to usb. The same thing happened with ubuntu which i tried because i heard it works more often coz of licensing or something. Either way none of them booted and i know it should because i used the same usb on my other computer and it worked fine. My laptop is running insydeh20 bios with only secure boot options, no legacy boot. Can someone please help me to get this running.
Thanks, supunz

thanks for the reply ryanvade, i checked the link out and it only says how to disable/enable secure boot, i have already changed the secure boot but i cant seem to find legacy boot options. on the page you linked it said to go to the security tab, on my hp under the security tab there is only two options for administrator and power-on password thats all.

Have you tried F9 during post boot to specify the boot device?

i tried f9 and went onto the usb but then it jus shows the files like a browser

How did you create the image on the USB? Did you boot from the USB? Type ver and see if you booted with microsoft bootloader.
I use Unetbootin to create ISO to USB for Linux operating images. You can try to create a new image on the usb from your ISO file. Delete the files on the usb first then use unetbootin to image the usb drive. Remember to hit the F9 pre boot to invoke the boot menu and chose Boot USB.

i downloaded the iso and used unetbootin to install it onto he usb after formatting it to fat 32. ive tried it on another computer and it worked fine so i dont think thats the problem, it must be with the bios. im not sure but maybe because of the uefi i have to install it a different way for the usb to be reconized and boot into linux. at this point ive searched on this topic for hours and have come to nothing of use.

I have the same bios on my other laptop. I had four partitions from the factory already on the disk so I had to delete one and do some resizing to free up space. I left the space unpartitioned and partitioned it during setup. I did this before I ever tried to boot the USB so I can't say its a duplicate issue. Plus my HP is a pavilion g6. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

i have two partitions, 50gb on c drive and 10 gb on the recovery drive. i have no problem deleting windows to install linux i jus want to get it to boot first so i know i can run it on this machine.
the bios has a very limited amount of options, like i said before there is no legacy boot options, only secure boot, i have tried to boot with secure boot on and off but nothing has happend, i changed the boot priority to usb and it still boots straight to windows 8.
would it make any difference to boot using a cd? i dont have a cd drive on this laptop but i have an external dvd drive and can use that.

You can try the cd first, but it really shouldnt matter though I'd try. You'll need to get something to boot to change anything.

ill try the cd but i doubt it will work, is there anything i can do it the bios to jus boot it? i honestly dont care about anything on this laptop at this point, im willing to wpe this whole thing clean jus to get linux to boot. is there any bios alterations i can do or even install a new bios?

I recently helped a friend install Arch onto his HP Envy. It was shipped with Win7 so we didn't have BIOS issues.

Since this is a Windows 8 computer we have to do the round about. In Windows go to the "Control Panel" in the "General" tab there is an option down at the bottom. It should say something like "Advanced restart" or "Trouble shooting Restart" ... anyway you have to click on it, reboot then you are at this Windows 8 repair screen. From there you should look for the a troubleshoot/reboot with Windows disk/something like that.

Sorry I cannot be more specific. I have only installed Linux on 3 computers with Windows 8 and it was hours on each system before I could get the USB to boot.

thanks again ryanvade for the help but i went to the same menu and there is no 'general' option. i think hp or windows has taken away alot of the options to change advanced settings. this laptop is a hp envy x2 11 inch tablet/convertible type laptop where you can take the screen off and use it as a tablet. i dont know if that makes any difference, i thought since its running windows 8 and is a proper computer it shouldnt matter

if this is of any help the laptop is a
HP ENVY x2 11-goo1tu

1. from Windows, hold the Shift key while selecting Restart. Go toTroubleshoot > Advanced Options: UEFI Firmware Settings.

2. Find the Secure Boot setting, and if possible, set it to Disabled. This option is usually in either the Security tab, the Boot tab, or the Authentication tab.

3. Save changes and exit. The PC reboots.

1. from Windows, hold the Shift key while selecting Restart. Go toTroubleshoot > Advanced Options: UEFI Firmware Settings.

2. Find the Secure Boot setting, and if possible, set it to Disabled. This option is usually in either the Security tab, the Boot tab, or the Authentication tab.

3. Save changes and exit. The PC reboots.
If the shift-click trick works. Unfortunately on the few Windows 8 computers I have worked on, it does not. :( But it may for you @Supunz

You have to click it from the power button with the mouse. I'm there now, but under Advanced options I dont see anything about secure boot. $#@! I'm screwed! I loaded the 8.1 eval. I saw an option to boot another operating system but it was MS only. I'llkeep looking I need to find it for myself now.

Ill try that guys but if its the same as the secure boot on the bios then it wont work, i have tried enabling and disabling the secure boot on bios but there is no change, it may even be that the boot priority isnt working somehow and that may be the reason its not booting, but ive had the usb boot priority on top the only other one named usb says usb dvd and it cant be that because there is no dvd drive. The default first boot priority was os boot manager

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts