Can't get Google Drive applications to work

grahamm7

Reaction score
Credits
I was hoping I could set up a Google Drive app that would connect to Google Drive in the cloud and mirror/sync to my Linux Mint laptop. I tried several such as: Python3-pydrive; Google Open Drive; VGdrive; When I go to sign on with my Google Identiy and pasword - I get a mesasge that the app doesn't meet Google requirements for connection. Tells me to talk to the developer of the app. I am used to MFA (2 step) with my phone etc... Or using authentication apps etc... But it looks like the 'protocol' of connection between the Linux Mint App and Google is incorrect from Google requirements. I have just gone over to using Linux Mint on a laptop. Hoping to use it away from home where I connect via WiFi. Looking for ways to share my data via a cloud. Google would be ideal. Or I could use MS One Drive but these apps appear to have to be installed at command level and don't appear in Software Manager and easy to install. Any ideas why the Google Drive apps on the Software Manager on Linux Mint don't work?

Using a Lenovo Think pad L560. Don't think this is hardware/firmware. But the inter-action between the Google Cloud and the operation of the Google Drive Linux apps - handshake/protocol etc...

I was hoping I could set up a Google Drive app that would connect to Google Drive in the cloud and mirror/sync to my Linux Mint laptop. I tried several such as: Python3-pydrive; Google Open Drive; VGdrive; When I go to sign on with my Google Identiy and pasword - I get a mesasge that the app doesn't meet Google requirements for connection. Tells me to talk to the developer of the app. I am used to MFA (2 step) with my phone etc... Or using authentication apps etc... But it looks like the 'protocol' of connection between the Linux Mint App and Google is incorrect from Google requirements. I have just gone over to using Linux Mint on a laptop. Hoping to use it away from home where I connect via WiFi. Looking for ways to share my data via a cloud. Google would be ideal. Or I could use MS One Drive but these apps appear to have to be installed at command level and don't appear in Software Manager and easy to install. Any ideas why the Google Drive apps on the Software Manager on Linux Mint don't work?
I have now read and article and used sudo as per sudo apt-get install gnome-control-centersudo apt-get install gnome-online-accounts etc. In settings On-line accounts is Google. I have logged in using this. So now using Open Drive Google I assumed this would work. So with its settings when I try to connect/login to Google it gives a Error 401 disabled client and still says the app has not been verified yet by Google. But I am led to believe that the connection between Google and Linux is built in - hence my adding the gnome-online-accounts etc... I am new to Linux trying to get away from MS Windows and use Linux on the laptop

Which browser are you using, you may do better using Chrome browser [available in the software manager of Mint]
Error 401

Ok I have now sussed this re reading some of the articles. Thanks forum.

Did you have to go to Google and explicitly allow the application to have permission to use your account?

I have to do that for all sorts of Google things. You have to tell Google that you trust xyz application and grant it permission to access your account.

This is normal.

Members online

Latest posts