Can't find Kali Linux in boot menu!

Gleis

Reaction score
Credits
Hello!
I recently installed Kali Linux and set it up using everything needed like this video showed
I disabled Secure boot In BIOS and fast boot and created a reserved space in my HDD just for that (40GB) .
After I installed Kali Linux I opened it and worked for some hours, and then booted in windows.
After that, I cant see the option to boot with Kali Linux in the windows loader and in the BIOS boot menu!
What should I do?

well ...there are a few bytes of information in the video. But where it left you is at the mercy of the bios boot menu. Nowhere was the subject of Boot manager/ addressed.

probably what happened is that nothing was lost but Windows likes to be the centre of attention.

usually after installing Linux after Windows in a dual boot you install grub. the only other option I know about is : http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html
All is not lost as long as you can still boot Windows and also still boot fro ma usb stick.

Probably i would google for
super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso or alternative grub install

follow the steps using rufus and install iso onto usb.

Then its a case of installing grub2 as the bootloader. That be able to install should enable you to put both Kali and Windows onto boot options.

Lets see what others think

May I ask what is this creasiness with kali the last months? forums, FB teams, everybody is asking questions about kali.
Sorry if I sound rude but if you can't fix this problem kali is not for you.
Kali is for advance user, is a distro for specific job.
Kali is not a daily base distro.
Anyway...

The latest fashion, kali is; my brother-in-law who never touched linux before tried it even. With taboo, I think its to do, attracted by the dark side.. Yes, hmmm.fear leads to the dark side consume you it will.

well ...there are a few bytes of information in the video. But where it left you is at the mercy of the bios boot menu. Nowhere was the subject of Boot manager/ addressed. probably what happened is that nothing was lost but Windows likes to be the centre of attention. usually after installing Linux after Windows in a dual boot you install grub. the only other option I know about is : http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html All is not lost as long as you can still boot Windows and also still boot fro ma usb stick. Probably i would google for super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso or alternative grub install follow the steps using rufus and install iso onto usb. Then its a case of installing grub2 as the bootloader. That be able to install should enable you to put both Kali and Windows onto boot options. Lets see what others think
well ...there are a few bytes of information in the video. But where it left you is at the mercy of the bios boot menu. Nowhere was the subject of Boot manager/ addressed. probably what happened is that nothing was lost but Windows likes to be the centre of attention. usually after installing Linux after Windows in a dual boot you install grub. the only other option I know about is : http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html All is not lost as long as you can still boot Windows and also still boot fro ma usb stick. Probably i would google for super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso or alternative grub install follow the steps using rufus and install iso onto usb. Then its a case of installing grub2 as the bootloader. That be able to install should enable you to put both Kali and Windows onto boot options. Lets see what others think
well ...there are a few bytes of information in the video. But where it left you is at the mercy of the bios boot menu. Nowhere was the subject of Boot manager/ addressed.

probably what happened is that nothing was lost but Windows likes to be the centre of attention.

usually after installing Linux after Windows in a dual boot you install grub. the only other option I know about is : http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html
All is not lost as long as you can still boot Windows and also still boot fro ma usb stick.

Probably i would google for
super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso or alternative grub install

follow the steps using rufus and install iso onto usb.

Then its a case of installing grub2 as the bootloader. That be able to install should enable you to put both Kali and Windows onto boot options.

Lets see what others think
Well , i replied a little bit late , anyway...
I installed Grub2 and tried to boot with it . It doesnt find Kali Linux . Tried to scan the partition and it tells me that the specific partition that i createt for Kali has 40% free space , while in the Disk Managment tells me that its 100% free. Tried to enter partition of Kali in Grub2 but it didnt work.

What should i do now? Should i install Kali in the main space together with windows or what?

At my time zone it's cup of tea time and on phone.will come back with a few thoughts and options.from booted windows it won't recognise file system of Linux and probably prompt you to format the partition you created for kali.funny enough Im due to read installing Kali in Kali revealed book.bsck latet

ok at times like these its good to take stock of where you are or as Donald Rumsfeld states it, it would be helpful if we state what we know, we know,and what we know we don't know.

So can we confirm if you can at least boot windows up so we know what we have to work with? Do you have any usb sticks with any live OS or spare usb sticks ?

First you say you installed grub but that didn't go well. ok first lets see if there is any remanent of grub. Power down and as it powers up hit "c" key on keyboard to see if we can get anything from grub. If nothing happens go to bios and make sure "quick boot" is disabled. if you found it was enabled and you disabled it try again with cold boot and hit C key. esc maybe anything to see if we can access grub prompt or menu

Ideally the objective is to get kali booted anyway we can and then correctly set up the boot loader. There are some approaches we can use to get kali up if its intact if your willing to give it a go. Also if anybody has any other short key stokes to get to grub prompt or menu please poste

Last edited:
ok at times like these its good to take stock of where you are or as Donald Rumsfeld states it, it would be helpful if we state what we know, we know,and what we know we don't know.

So can we confirm if you can at least boot windows up so we know what we have to work with? Do you have any usb sticks with any live OS or spare usb sticks ?

First you say you installed grub but that didn't go well. ok first lets see if there is any remanent of grub. Power down and as it powers up hit "c" key on keyboard to see if we can get anything from grub. If nothing happens go to bios and make sure "quick boot" is disabled. if you found it was enabled and you disabled it try again with cold boot and hit C key. esc maybe anything to see if we can access grub prompt or menu

Ideally the objective is to get kali booted anyway we can and then correctly set up the boot loader. There are some approaches we can use to get kali up if its intact if your willing to give it a go. Also if anybody has any other short key stokes to get to grub prompt or menu please poste
Yes, I can boot Windows up, and yes I have a USB stick with Kali Linux files in it. I opened Grub in BIOS, from the boot menu, and it only showed Windows 10 like a bootable option. Then inside Grub2 I made some research about partitions and found that the partition which I created for Linux is 44% free, and that means that kali files are still there. Meanwhile, windows tell me that the partition is 100% free AS I SEAD.
Now how can Grub access files in that partition, so it can boot Kali Linux?
Is there a solution to boot kali, or should I delete the partition and install kali again?

Last edited:
Im new in the field of Linux, but I'm not new in the field of computers. Im an Android programmer and designer, and also I can assemble and disassemble a PC in less than 4 min, so please do not treat me like I don't know anything about OS and PCs.
Everybody learns and everyone has been in that phase at some point of their life, when they can't boot an OS or something else, simply because we are not born with the knowledge, we learn them on the way

its pretty much impossible to gauge the level of understanding someone has ; also your another one for which my humor has gone over the top of their heads, i've currently got a bit of sorting out on a boot issue myself if you follow the recent UEFI BIOS + Linux thread . what i can tell that that the usb stick i did i a dd if= of= etc : using

located grub .efi , elilo.efi files. and also booted my Windows 10 efi pc up so I would be pretty confident that if you use rufus from your bootable windows to the rEFInd .img onto a usb it would be able to boot your kali . Basically you have nothing to loose , it if fails then its plan B as you have outlined.

:^)

Last edited:
Anyway , I deleted everything that was in the partition and installed kali linux again , this time with more precision and followed the video step by step . Im afraid to try to boot in windows and then reebot again in Kali because it might not display the optio to boot in Kali . What should i do to prevent this , since I'm now in Kali?

Anyway , I deleted everything that was in the partition and installed kali linux again , this time with more precision and followed the video step by step . Im afraid to try to boot in windows and then reebot again in Kali because it might not display the optio to boot in Kali . What should i do to prevent this , since I'm now in Kali?
Before you boot into Windows open the terminal in Kali Linux and run this first.

sudo update-grub

The next time you reboot your pc you should have the choice of booting into either Kali or Windows.
That should fix the grub issue.

**Simply type the command:
os-prober
**Then type :
Update-grub
**Then restart your pc & that's should work

Members online