Can't connect to Windows Server using Remmina

Koles

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!

I've been using RDP on Windows 7 to connect to Windows Server and it works fine. Now I'm trying Remmina and I'm sure I entered right login and password and it just can't connect. Have you ever had any similar issue with this? How can I solve this?

Thanks.

I'm not sure.
Remmina has worked perfectly for me whilst working from home all through the lockdown. I've managed to connect remotely to Linux and Windows PC's.

Were you using the correct domain-name in the login information? My employers have a domain/workgroup that has to be specified as well as the usual username/password. That was the only problem I had when I first tried connecting.

Failing that - is there anything at the other end that might be blocking your connection?

What error are you getting when you try to make the rdp connection from remmina to the Windows machine?

Hi. Thanks for your answers. I tried using the domain name in many ways... either by entering it in "domain" field or using it combined with login this way: domain\login or this way: domain/login ... whatever I tried, the login window just pops up after a while.

Someone else suggested to set up "RDP" negotiation type in connection settings instead of "automatic" negotiation type. When I set up "RDP", then it displays error "Cannot connect to the "IP...." RDP server.

Do I need to have RDP port open in my Linux as well? Im using Kali.

Can you open a terminal and then try to connect to the windows rdp port from there?
Code:
telnet windows-server.example.com 3389

Yea. I got this response (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is my IP):

Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx..
Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

What does it mean?

The RDP I want to connect still works when I connect from my Windows 7. I just analyzed Event Viewer logs, but really can't get much anything useful from that!

I tried Vinagre and it didnt work too. I tried rdesktop with just basic options :
rdesktop -u LOGIN -p PASSWORD -f xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3389
and it worked. There must something wrong with settings in Remmina and I would like to find out what as I like gui programs more than console. Any ideas?

Yea. I got this response (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is my IP):

Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx..
Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

What does it mean?

The RDP I want to connect still works when I connect from my Windows 7. I just analyzed Event Viewer logs, but really can't get much anything useful from that!
It means you have no local firewall blocking outgoing connections. Do you have the remmina rdp plugin installed?

Last edited:

Members online