Can't compile some not-so-old stuff, "-o: not found"

V

Villefort

Now I'm trying to compile frontend utility fbsplash; it is last updated in 2011, I do not think it's too old.
I'm doing this under Micro Core, so it may lack some very basic tools I don't know of.

The source package must be configured with autotools; I've installed: autoconf, automake, libtool, intltool, gettext, perl5 and other basic stuff from compiletc extension, including gcc, g++, make and so on. The package needs libjpeg, libpng and pgm (devs), they're installed as well.

The source package seems to be lacking some template files like "missing", em... and some more. So if I run "autoconf", it exits. So I must run "autoreconf -vif" first, then I run "automake". This generates a "configure" file, so then I run "./configure" to get a "Makefile". Then I run "make".

But, when it starts working with the very first libjpeg.a in its list, it crashes saying something like this:

make[3] 02: command not found
/bin/sh: -o: not found

I've read that this may be caused by gettext not installed. But I definitely have gettext installed, both gettext and gettext-dev.
I've read that there may not be "msgfmt" in my /usr/bin. Yeah, it really wasn't there, but I created a symlink
ln -s /usr/local/bin/msgfmt /usr/bin
and reconfigured and ran make and it crashed again. (I have all the stuff in /usr/local/bin, yeah; msgfmt and some other msg* stuff. My sh is in /usr/bin, though).

I tried do some guess-like stuff like run "gettextize" in the source directory. Then it created a po/ directory in there and rejected to make because there where no Makefile in this po/ directory. Only Makefile.in.in (exactly) and no configure.ac, so I couldn't autoconf this po/ or automake it or something.
The configure script does not contain an option like --disable-nls, as I felt that all this crap with gettext somewhat concern this...

So, what may be wrong?

Last edited:

Hi,

I just installed NTP 4.2.8p2 on my raspberry pi with GPS add on board. When using ./configure --[options] I had some error messsages. Could someone tell me where I can learn more about compiling, Make and make install applications in Rasbian? Can I run the ./configure option twice or do I need to remove the application and start over. Help would be appriciated!

Michiel

Hi,

I just installed NTP 4.2.8p2 on my raspberry pi with GPS add on board. When using ./configure --[options] I had some error messsages. Could someone tell me where I can learn more about compiling, Make and make install applications in Rasbian? Can I run the ./configure option twice or do I need to remove the application and start over. Help would be appriciated!

Michiel
Hi,
Most of the time you don't need options using configure script. You can run it twice. Raspbian, since it's a Unix system, works as other systems. Make is the same everywhere. You can either read make man pages (type man make) or official documentation. Also you better post error messages so we can help you. And please start new threads if your question differs from the topic.

Hi Mitt,

Thanks for your reply! I am new here and need to find out how to start a new topic
;<)) The man make is a great help, when installing NTP there are a lot of options which enables for example the NMEA and GPSD drivers. Also good to know I could run it twice.

Cheers Michiel

Hi,

Michiel

Since Raspbian is Debian based, there are thousand of applications available in the official repository. You can browse the applications by using the built-in Pi store or using the regular apt-get and apt-cache commands: Raspbian repository

Members online

Latest posts