Can't boot

prayner

Reaction score
Credits
Laptop: Ideapad Slim 7i Pro
Distro: Arch (latest version)
DM: LightDM
Dual-booting W11.
I was having issues with small font size for GRUB due to hidpi. I tried to edit the font size in GRUB /etc/default/grub file using the following command in the Arch Wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI#GRUB).
# grub-mkfont -s 30 -o /boot/grubfont.pf2 /usr/share/fonts/FontFamily/FontName.ttf

Note: Change the -s 30 parameter to modify the font size

Edit /etc/default/grub to set the new font as shown in GRUB/Tips and tricks#Background image and bitmap fonts:

GRUB_FONT="/boot/grubfont.pf2"

I added the GRUB_FONT="/boot/grubfont.pf2" text towards the top of the `/etc/default/grub` file.
I also deleted `fbcon=font:TER16x32` from GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in the same file, as it hadn't made a noticeable difference in font size.

I then ran `sudo update-grub` but nothing happened, even after rebooting. So I ran `grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg`. Now when I boot Linux, nothing happens after I choose to boot Arch Linux. Not sure how to fix this.

Last edited:

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I had no success with this method, but it is the right track.

fdisk -l output:
# mount /dev/nvme0n1p5 /mnt
# mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi
# arch-chroot /mnt
# pacman -S grub efibootmgr os-prober

# grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=grub

but i get this output:
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
this doesn't work either.

So I decided to edit my /etc/default/grub file and remove the last change I'd made, but it didn't do anything after exiting, umounting, and rebooting.

Interestingly, there is no GRUB option when booting my laptop. Only Windows and the USB stick with the ARCHISO. This was not the case when I began.