Can't boot Linux, Firmware Bug

Fargesia

Reaction score
Credits
Hi!
I'm posting this out of desperation because I've been trying for days now to dual boot my computer and I always somehow get a bug. The thing is, at first when I tried to boot from a USB key, I could enter GRUB and select Ubuntu, but then I would get this (first image).
Then someone told me it could be related to a GPU driver bug or something like that, so I plugged the screen to the motherboard directly and enabled the onboard GPU. And now it seems better (at least readable) but now I get this error:
[0.070541] DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: No firmware reserved region can cover this
RMRR [0x0000000078800000-0x0000000088ffffff], contact BIOS vendor for fixes

And once (but only once) it eventually went from this error to this after like 1min: (second image). I'm sorry if it's not that readable I never got this again so I can't take any other photo.

So what should I do? I'm a complete beginner but I've already dual booted my laptop just fine and easily but for this one it's such a pain in the ass...

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211102-002112_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211102-002112_Gallery.jpg
    883.1 KB · Views: 801
  • 20211102_203454.jpg
    20211102_203454.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 953

It looks like you have some sort of screen tearing going on in the first screenshot.
Yeah, it could be a GPU issue.

What exact make and model laptop do you have?

Maybe I shouldn't have put the first picture because the first problem is actually solved, it was due to some GPU issue and I solved it by plugging the screen directly to the motherboard and enabling the onboard GPU. But now the only issue I have to deal with is the second picture and the error and copied.
As for the computer it's not a laptop, but here are the CPU and motherboard:
Cpu: Intel I7 6700k 4ghz
Motherboard: Asrock Z170 Gaming I7

Welcome
you haven't told us enough about your set up if its a factory built job then make and model number, if its a home build then what ram what storage drive, what graphics card,
and above all what distribution and build of linux are you trying to use?

Bwiz

Thanks! It's a home built setup, as for the rest of the specs here they are:
RAM: Ballistix Sport 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) DDR4 2400 MHz CL16
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 - 1TB
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti (the screen is plugged to the motherboard right now though, because of my first issue)
And I'm trying to install Ubuntu 20.04.3 (I've also tried Ubuntu 21.10 but issue)

Can you run a terminal?
if so open terminal and enter inxi -Fnxz [inxispace-Fnxz] and paste the results here

Had another thought... you could try a live run of
this is NOT a final release but a testing version of the new MX21-AHS due out in a few months, it is packed with the latest drivers both free [linux] and non- free [licensed]

[0.070541] DMAR: [Firmware Bug]: No firmware reserved region can cover this
RMRR [0x0000000078800000-0x0000000088ffffff], contact BIOS vendor for fixes

The first issue is just a warning, usually.

The second means I'd try updating the BIOS.

Finally, your graphics card is good enough that I'd make sure to install the proprietary drivers and use it. You may need to boot with 'nomodeset' to get it running well enough to install the proprietary drivers.

All of those things can be easily found with a search engine, so you shouldn't have any trouble with any of those steps.

Can you run a terminal?
if so open terminal and enter inxi -Fnxz [inxispace-Fnxz] and paste the results here
I've tried but I don't think I can...

The first issue is just a warning, usually.

The second means I'd try updating the BIOS.

Finally, your graphics card is good enough that I'd make sure to install the proprietary drivers and use it. You may need to boot with 'nomodeset' to get it running well enough to install the proprietary drivers.

All of those things can be easily found with a search engine, so you shouldn't have any trouble with any of those steps.
So I've updated the BIOS and I still get the same error message: contact BIOS vendor for fixes

And I tried booting with nomodeset but it freezes, the two last lines shown are:
[33.957961] ahci 0000:07:00.0: AHCI controller unavailable!
[34.617961] pcieport 0000:04:07.0: can't change power state from D3cold to D0 (config space inaccessible)

Update: The two lines above are the two last lines when I had my gpu (RTX 3060) plugged in, but I tried going back to the onboard gpu and plugging the screen to the motherboard and this time it froze again but the last lines are :
failed to resume link (SControl FFFFFFFF)
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdd] Write Protect is off
sd 11:0:0:0: [sdd] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
ata8. SATA link down (SStatus FFFFFFFF SControl FFFFFFFF)

Last edited:
Curiouser and curiouser...

Are you trying to run the OS live - or are you choosing the install option from the get-go?

Curiouser and curiouser...

Are you trying to run the OS live - or are you choosing the install option from the get-go?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean but I'm trying to boot from a USB key. Then when I turn on the computer after the bios comes GRUB, and in GRUB I have several options:
-Ubuntu
-Ubuntu (safe graphics)
-OEM install (for manufacturers)
-Boot from next volume
*UEFI Firmware Settings
I tried the two first but I pretty much get the same result, the only one I haven't tried is the third.
I hope that indirectly answers the question

ok... I am thinking you have a bad install caused either by a corrupt download or defective pendrive
try,
download your Iso again direct from ubuntu and burn it as a bootable pendrive [if your re-using the current one re-format to fat32 first] then try a re-install , when you come to the partition tick the option to replace ubuntu, then when asked tick the box to add non free/proprietary drivers .hopefully it will work this time

Erratum... If you are trying to use the pendrive as a bootable portable drive you will have to make a persistent installation to a pendrive of at least 32gb

Unfortunately I don't have any USB stick of at least 32gb. But what's odd with this is that right before trying to dual boot this computer, I did it with my laptop, with the exact same USB stick and the exact same ISO image (downloaded from Ubuntu directly), and it worked perfectly fine first try

you only need a 32gb if you were trying to make a live persistent pendrive
as you have used the usb you have successfully before then it should still be ok.
been trying to think, and the only other thing i can think of, is the motherboard enabled to boot from the ssd [or even built to boot from ssd] as many are not, and that is why many pre built boxes come with a smaller bootable Harddrive [for the OS] and an ssd for the rest. do you have an old harddrive you can try, sorry but that just about run me out of ideas

Bwiz

Members online