Cannot get past Installation type

JohanF

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys! I'm very new to Linux. My employer gave me a brand new Dell Latitude 5530 today but my old Latitude E6530 with SSD and extra Ram far outperforms the new machine, so I decided to dedicate the new one to installing and learning Linux. It came with Win10 Pro pre-installed. I wish to install Linux Mint over the Windows installation. The boot configuration in the BIOS Setup don't give me any option to boot from USB but it does have an option to enable Secure Digital Card boot... The only way I can get it to pick up the iso file on the SD card is when I disable Secure Boot and then restart holding down the Shift key and then selecting the SD card (listed as UEFI SD Device) as a boot device. However, the installation crashes with an "Installation type" window which has no options and an error message saying "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu."

I'm installing Mint 20.3 - verified the iso image and flashed it to the SD card with balenaEtcher.

I will appreciate any help here!

Thanks,

JohanF

Welcome to the forums
first disable windows quick-start in the Bios, usually found in power or battery settings.

My employer gave me ...

Not an answer...

Gave as in it is now your personal property? Or gave as in provided it to you so that you could perform some specific task(s)?

Because, if it is the latter, I strongly encourage you to get permission first before changing the operating system... If it's the former, then by all means have fun!

Welcome to the forums
first disable windows quick-start in the Bios, usually found in power or battery settings.
Done that, but it doesn't make any difference. Should I rather try the Auto setting in stead of thorough?

You should be able to initiate USB boot in the main BIOS menu,
when you switch on have you tried jiggling the F12 key to bring up the one time boot menu, [it's usually F12 on a Dell] and select your boot drive from there

Not an answer...

Gave as in it is now your personal property? Or gave as in provided it to you so that you could perform some specific task(s)?

Because, if it is the latter, I strongly encourage you to get permission first before changing the operating system... If it's the former, then by all means have fun!
Noted thanks! As I said, I'm still using the old E6530 to perform computer related tasks expected from me. As long as I don't physically break the hardware, they don't have much of an issue regarding what I do with it on the software side.

On second thought, I might just consider first trying it with a dual boot setup...

You should be able to initiate USB boot in the main BIOS menu,
when you switch on have you tried jiggling the F12 key to bring up the one time boot menu, [it's usually F12 on a Dell] and select your boot drive from there
F12 first boot setup didn't give me any other options than the F2 bios setup, but I decided to flash the ISO image to another USB drive and now it is given as an option in the boot... Unfortunately booting from USB doesn't bring me any further - install still gets stuck on the same "Installation type" window.

Did you initiate [enable] usb boot in the usb set up of the bios? before you tried F12

if still not working, can you get a shot of the screen you are seeing and post it here

Members online