Cannot download repomd.xml in red hat 9

mehdi2020

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, i was trying this command on red hat 9 :

yum -y install pcs* pacemake* fence-agents-all

an i get this error :

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9 for x86_64 - High Availability - Update Services 3.4 B/s | 10 B 00:02
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-e4s-rpms':
- Status code: 404 for https://cdn.redhat.com/content/e4s/rhel9/9/x86_64/highavailability/os/repodata/repomd.xml (IP: 95.101.156.251)
Erreur : Échec du téléchargement des métadonnées pour le dépôt « rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-e4s-rpms » : Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried

can you help me? thank you.

For redhat 9, it is recommended you use dnf instead of yum. yum is soft-linked to dnf, but the command loses some
functionality by the way it is called.

I would try this first..

dnf clean all

If that doesn't work, I would try...

dnf repolist

and check to see if the highavailability repo's are enabled. ( You do have a subscription for Redhat? )

For redhat 9, it is recommended you use dnf instead of yum. yum is soft-linked to dnf, but the command loses some

I would try this first..

dnf clean all

If that doesn't work, I would try...

dnf repolist

and check to see if the highavailability repo's are enabled. ( You do have a subscription for Redhat? )
Hi, thank you for your help,
i tried "dnf clean all" , then, "dnf install pcs* pacemake* fence-agents-all" , but i get the same error.
and yes, all high availability packages are enabled.

How does using yum make you lose some functionality, it's a symlink. A symlink points to the original binary so it should be able to do exactly the same as using dnf.

How does using yum make you lose some functionality, it's a symlink. A symlink points to the original binary so it should be able to do exactly the same as using dnf.

There are a number of articles about this, but the binary itself knows how it is "called" or invoked.
I can't even find the articles that I'm looking for ( I have way too many book marks ).
But basically the "yum" is simply left there for backwards compatibility.
I will find them and post them here. But basically it's this idea...

When you run yum, you're basically running dnf with a compatibility flag.

Last edited:
There are a number of articles about this, but the binary itself knows how it is "called" or invoked.
I can't even find the articles that I'm looking for ( I have way too many book marks ).
But basically the "yum" is simply left there for backwards compatibility.
Thanks for sharing those articles, I read through I only saw them mentioning differences, not that if you use yum the symlink vs dnf the binary differences. I'll be using yum anyways until RHEL7 is end of life, also since I'm used to yum. Switching to dnf will be more logical to do once all the systems I manage support dnf.

are you talking about the subject of this post or what ? i don't understand what you're talking about.

are you talking about the subject of this post or what ? i don't understand what you're talking about.
I was replying to something @dos2unix said about using "yum vs dnf".

As for your error message does that system have an active subscription for "High Availability"? What happens if you try the "rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-rpms" repo instead? If "dnf clean all" doesn't work like @dos2unix mentioned, I would wait an hour or so and try again. If it then again fails I would create a Red Hat support ticket.

I'm actually getting the same when I try that repo:

]# yum search pacemaker
Updating Subscription Management repositories.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9 for x86_64 - High Availability - Update Services for SAP Solutions (RPMs) 3.4 B/s | 10 B 00:02
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-e4s-rpms':
- Status code: 404 for https://cdn.redhat.com/content/e4s/rhel9/9/x86_64/highavailability/os/repodata/repomd.xml (IP: 95.101.56.251)
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-e4s-rpms': Cannot download repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried

When I try the "rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-rpms" repo I don't get any errrors:
[root@legion ~]# yum search pacemaker |grep ^pacemaker
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:48 ago on Sun 04 Dec 2022 04:25:39 PM CET.
pacemaker.x86_64 : Scalable High-Availability cluster resource manager
pacemaker-cli.x86_64 : Command line tools for controlling Pacemaker clusters

So it looks like there is a problem with the "rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-e4s-rpms" repo, so either switch to the "rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-rpms" repo or make Red Hat support ticket about the "rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-e4s-rpms" giving errors. Is there a reason you need the "High Availability - Update Services for SAP Solutions" repo, if not just switch to the normal "High Availability" repo.

Last edited:
I was replying to something @dos2unix said about using "yum vs dnf".

As for your error message does that system have an active subscription for "High Availability"? What happens if you try the "rhel-9-for-x86_64-highavailability-rpms" repo instead? If "dnf clean all" doesn't work like @dos2unix mentioned, I would wait an hour or so and try again. If it then again fails I would create a Red Hat support ticket.
OK, thank you.

Members online