./sudo

Reaction score
Credits
Hello! I am posting this thread because I am curious if anyone has experienced or is currently experiencing the same issue as I am. I downloaded the Kali Linux live USB image from Kali.org on my Intel MacBook Pro. I can browse the internet perfectly fine on my main operating system (macOS), so I take it my internal Wi-Fi chip is working fine, but when I boot into Kali from my USB (I didn’t experience any issues when booting the OS), I tried to connect to my Wi-Fi network but it just kept prompting me to enter the password over and over and never actually connected me to the network. I’ve seen some people with similar issues, but they don’t often see the network option at all. For me, when I run iwconfig I see en0 as an interface option with “no wireless extensions”. My friend told me to get a Wi-Fi to USB adapter, (I don’t have an Ethernet cable, if that were an alternative) but I soon realized that such an adapter would most likely require its own drivers to be installed, which requires internet access. TL;DR: If there are any Wi-Fi adapters Kali supports by default where drivers don’t need to be installed, or if there is another solution, please let me know. Thank you.

RT5370 chip should work with Kali, it is only 2.4 Gh, but it is cheap
to try with your system and will get you online.
Search Amazon for RT5370, take one with a standard antanae, no need to look for +3 dbi especially if your trying to connect to an upstairs device, +dbi will give more focused in direction coverage, but comes at the loss of wider coverage, could miss upstairs but will be better on the same level as the connected devices.
The driver should be installed, if not you need to take your computer
to somewhere that has ethernet, and run
apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-ralink

Last edited by a moderator:
TpLink and others make small travel routers, they can connect wirelessly to your phones hotspot, and have an ethernet connection that then connects to your laptop, I keep one of these for emergency use in the event there is no onboard WiFi drivers during a distro install.

Have you installed to a hard drive or VM or running from pen-drive?
If you have little experience of Kali and are not fully conversant with the Linux terminal and commands, give up, Kali is Not for beginners
Many experienced Linux users have problems with installing Kali and add to that you have a MacBook, also notorious for installing anything apart from MacOS, [use the search box for installing Linux on a Mac]

Kali is for experienced cybersecurity professionals, they do not usually install to a hard drive [unless it's a dedicated machine] but for security run from a persistent pen-drive or in a VM.

If you are inexperienced, do not expect any help from the Kali community, they ignore obvious newbie questions on their forums.

RT5370 chip should work with Kali, it is only 2.4 Gh, but it is cheap
to try with your system and will get you online.
Search Amazon for RT5370, take one with a standard antanae, no need to look for +3 dbi especially if your trying to connect to an upstairs device, +dbi will give more focused in direction coverage, but comes at the loss of wider coverage, could miss upstairs but will be better on the same level as the connected devices.
The driver should be installed, if not you need to take your computer
to somewhere that has ethernet, and run
apt-get update && apt-get install firmware-ralink
Thanks! This is very helpful. Do you happen to know if there is a way to tell if my network is 2.4 or 5Ghz, or if there are any other adapters that are supported by Kali by default with 2.4 and 5Ghz compatibility? Thanks.

Thanks! This is very helpful. Do you happen to know if there is a way to tell if my network is 2.4 or 5Ghz, or if there are any other adapters that are supported by Kali by default with 2.4 and 5Ghz compatibility? Thanks.
I've never heard of a Mac Book that did not support 2.4Ghz, so you will be fine, if it connects to your network under windows.
Look up the spec for your MBP, it will state in the specifications what wireless speeds are supported, and what card is used too.

Try this and post the result
inxi -N

When you say network, and ask if it is 2.4 or 5 Ghz, what do you mean, are you not connecting your computers wifi to your phone, or have you a wireless router connected to your fixed land line / cable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online