Cannot connect to the internet without first clicking on Network connection

E

EiEiOhh

Ubuntu 14.04
(Noob)

I have a wired static IP configured on my machine.
After I boot up, I am on my LAN but, I cannot browse the internet until I click my configured connection from the task bar. I then see a connected banner/icon and can browse.
I can use some things to chase down to figure this out.

Thanks

Just some random troubleshooting thoughts:

Any particular reason for a Static IP? In fact, are there any other devices on this LAN and could there be an IP Conflict? Is the Static IP within the Router's DHCP range?

For initial trouble shooting, I would try to PING a website as soon as you connect. If that doesn't work, trying PINGing the Router's IP. I have had connection issues in the past where I verified a PING to the Router, but not beyond that to the Internet.

If this is run by Network Manager, I would right click on it and look for Edit Connections. Maybe a setting could be changed in the profile to auto-connect.

Has this PC ever had a Wired Connection on another network? If so, maybe it's trying to reference a profile from that session and it's getting lost.

Does the configuration for the Static IP include info for the DNS resolver? Maybe it's connected, but can't find where to resolve WebSites with IP Addresses?

Ubuntu 14.04
(Noob)

I have a wired static IP configured on my machine.
After I boot up, I am on my LAN but, I cannot browse the internet until I click my configured connection from the task bar. I then see a connected banner/icon and can browse.
I can use some things to chase down to figure this out.

Thanks
You could and should provide the static IP address through the device that provides your DHCP. Your router/modem should have a space for "Statically assigned IP addresses", by entering the MAC address of the computer's network card, and a chosen IP address from the DHCP range. I almost never set a static IP address in any device. Printers and other devices are usually preset to use DHCP.

You could and should provide the static IP address through the device that provides your DHCP. Your router/modem should have a space for "Statically assigned IP addresses", by entering the MAC address of the computer's network card, and a chosen IP address from the DHCP range. I almost never set a static IP address in any device. Printers and other devices are usually preset to use DHCP.
I like this idea.
So once I set it up in the router, what to I do with the static IP connection I set up on Ubuntu? Delete it? Replace it? With what?

Thanks

I like this idea.
So once I set it up in the router, what to I do with the static IP connection I set up on Ubuntu? Delete it? Replace it? With what?

Thanks
Go into the screen where you set the static IP address in Ubuntu. There should be an option there to switch to DHCP.

Ok... I got this working..
I set up static IP on my router and deleted the connection on my Ubuntu machine.
Then I set up a new DCHP connection on Ubuntu and restarted the machine. The static IP worked but I was still having the same issue.
I ended up adding "Additional DNS Servers" = 8.8.8.8 and that seemed to fix my issue

Members online

Latest posts