Cannot boot or enter BIOS setup

D

dale

I dualboot between Windows 7 and Ubuntu. The disaster happened when I tried to replace Ubuntu with another flavour of Ubuntu (wanted to see how it handles Chinese input).

I was in Windows. I had what I wanted to install inside my USB stick. I deleted Linux partitions using EaseUS, then recreated them as EXT3 partition. I had previously given USB flash disks boot priority over HDD, so I rebooted with my USB stick plugged in, thinking it would boot from USB. (This is how I installed Ubuntu in the first place.)

Only I did not boot up this time. I got stuck at BIOS information screen. I could not enter setup. I must have messed up when I removed one of the Linux partitons.

So ... I am on my mobile phone now asking for help. I have taken a screenshot of where I am stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Attachments

• IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    978.7 KB · Views: 1,642

Ubuntu Rescue Remix does not boot.

Windows 7 installation DVD does not boot.

From the "23" on the upper right corner of the BIOS setup screen (as can be seen on the screenshot, i.e., where I am stuck), does it mean error while parsing number?

Issue resolved. I found the manual to my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L) and forced clear CMOS. I got my old Ubuntu back, so I am happy again. :)

I'm glad you fixed it! I hate these types of errors...so frustrating!

Yea, and good to have a spare laptop with Internet connectivity to make a booting USB stick. :D

Yes! I always say 90% of tech support is knowing what to google! I always have a back up computer! Just having a USB to erase and try different boot disks is key too. Sometimes I have neither, and I feel like it is an impossible task to actually achieve anything!

Ahhhhhh I will now go back to an old laptop, you have given me an idea... Facepalming for fun here. Thanks for that.

Issue resolved. I found the manual to my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L) and forced clear CMOS. I got my old Ubuntu back, so I am happy again. :)

LOL I was so about to embarrass myself by quoting your second post and asking you:
What shows up in the BIOS Screen in the field for drive. I thought it was a corrupted hard drive error. :rolleyes: I really need to brush up on my computer knowledge.

LOL I was so about to embarrass myself by quoting your second post and asking you:
What shows up in the BIOS Screen in the field for drive. I thought it was a corrupted hard drive error. :rolleyes: I really need to brush up on my computer knowledge.
MBR was corrupted when I wiped partitions, so I guess you could say the computer lost count of disk identities. :)

Just an update to my last post - I forced the CMOS on an old unit that has been down for over 12 months and guess what?

I have my old Ubuntu back with a lot of work that I had configured, I am sooooo happy about that. I really thank you for giving me the idea. I thought that the CMOS had been completely screwed up. I never even thought to bother trying until I read that you had successfuly sorted the very same issue I had from a similar event change. Now just to make the updates - \O/

It was one of thos things that had gone through my mind even though I had not been issued with a click of death. For some reason I didn't bother to strip it all back, replace the motherboard or format the hard drive. I am sooo glad I didn't.

still i have not faced this type of problem so i am happy. touchwood.:)

Members online

Latest posts