Cannot boot linux on new LG laptop

Gabrimove

Reaction score
Credits
I just bought an LG 15U70N with Windows 10 pre-installed. And as much as I have tried to get a single boot with a linux distro in usb I have not been able. In the bios I have disabled secure boot but I don't get anything. Also the bios version that it has seems very limited to me.
If I can't find out if it is possible to boot a Linux USB, what is the use of this computer for me? I think that any computer should be able to do it in a simple way, right?
Please help me I have googled about that bios and that laptop but i don't see too much info.
Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

is there a hidden section of bios thats revealed when your using admin credentials, that seems to be the case for some laptops and from memory also on my HP laptop

is there a hidden section of bios thats revealed when your using admin credentials, that seems to be the case for some laptops and from memory also on my HP laptop
Maybe yes but I don't know. I had Hp and no problem. Maybe the last computers are returning more "secures"

Are you sure the USB is bootable? If you disabled secure boot you should be OK. Are you trying to auto boot from the USB on boot up or are pressing a key and going into a boot setup and then choosing the USB from the list of options?

Are you sure the USB is bootable? If you disabled secure boot you should be OK. Are you trying to auto boot from the USB on boot up or are pressing a key and going into a boot setup and then choosing the USB from the list of options?
To be sure I pressed key to choose usb. The problem is that it doesn't show. Nothing else that hardisk.

Not that I'm doubting you but just to confirm, is there any other PC you can try the USB on? This may sound silly but have you tried a different USB port? I actually have to boot from a certain port from my Laptop.

Not that I'm doubting you but just to confirm, is there any other PC you can try the USB on? This may sound silly but have you tried a different USB port? I actually have to boot from a certain port from my Laptop.
Is this an LG Gram by any chance?

To be able to boot from USB media, get into BIOS with the F2 key and under 'Advanced', disable 'UEFI Boot' and enable 'Legacy OS Boot'."
This is for an LG Gram. Maybe same BIOS?

That USB worked on a dell

To be able to boot from USB media, get into BIOS with the F2 key and under 'Advanced', disable 'UEFI Boot' and enable 'Legacy OS Boot'."
This is for an LG Gram. Maybe same BIOS?
In my LG works with F12. I don't know why that difference. Its specifically a 15U70N very new I think, in Spain, and I can tell that the Bios is Inside GC198.

Are you able to disable uEFI boot and enable legacy boot anywhere? Just remember you won't be able to boot windows after you do that unless you change it back

Are you able to disable uEFI boot and enable legacy boot anywhere? Just remember you won't be able to boot windows after you do that unless you change it back
I have that option in the bios, yes, but it didn't cause it to boot the USB. I tested to enable and disable too legacy, but same result. The I saw an option to delete Pk. Like the picture showed. But neither.. Screenshot_20201207-152759_Google.jpg

I just bought an LG 15U70N with Windows 10 pre-installed. And as much as I have tried to get a single boot with a linux distro in usb I have not been able. In the bios I have disabled secure boot but I don't get anything. Also the bios version that it has seems very limited to me.
If I can't find out if it is possible to boot a Linux USB, what is the use of this computer for me? I think that any computer should be able to do it in a simple way, right?
Please help me I have googled about that bios and that laptop but i don't see too much info.
Thank you very much in advance.
it is intentional!!! Microsoft, with Windows 10 has DIG own tomb! on W10 is all under control and controlled what you do. All is prevent to change little things.
I have installed W10, but after 2 day i have come back to W7. too many control, freedom is missing; yes, missing. with W7 limiting Update microsoft , as needed,
you can do many modification. I suggest you, if you can installer W7 and nor
EDGE(other big spy), you open up a new vision about O.S. if you have problem i suggest, remove your HD from the laptop utilize one other PC FORMAT HD and overwrite it with clear byte( privazer work fine for this) and EASEUS is very good SW for manage HD (format resize etc) and before you start with above you can utilize AOMEI back-up & restore so you store un old image of your HD.... is good? Let's go FB,Google, tweet,tik tok gmail and so; its are only to SPY!

Last edited:
it is intentional!!! Microsoft, with Windows 10 has DIG own tomb! on W10 is all under control and controlled what you do. All is prevent to change little things.
I have installed W10, but after 2 day i have come back to W7. too many control, freedom is missing; yes, missing. with W7 limiting Update microsoft , as needed,
EDGE(other big spy), you open up a new vision about O.S.
Windows 7 is EOL and will not be getting anymore updates so it's not smart to still be running Windows 7.

EDGE(other big spy), you open up a new vision about O.S. if you have problem i suggest, remove your HD from the laptop utilize one other PC FORMAT HD and overwrite it with clear byte( privazer work fine for this) and EASEUS is very good SW for manage HD (format resize etc) and before you start with above you can utilize AOMEI back-up & restore so you store un old image of your HD.... is good? Let's go FB,Google, tweet,tik tok gmail and so; its are only to SPY!
Yes understood, but in other computer with Windows 10 I was capable to do what I liked installing linux, making partitions...all. In that case LG laptop (i never had this brand before) give me problems. I am waiting support of the vendor/manufacturer. If not solution I will return the laptop.

First, what did you use to create the USB Live/install media?

In general, to install Linux on a machine that has Win10 do this:
Disable Fast Boot in Windows (found in the power panel).
You can Disable Secure Boot, or not, in BIOS/UEFI. I just disable it.
Change the SATA settings to AHCI. Do not keep the "fake" hardware RAID (RST) that so many Windows machines come with. It really screws with hard drive/SSD configuration.
Do NOT use Legacy boot, since your goal is a single boot Linux.
With the USB drive connected, set your boot order to show the USB drive as first - then save and reboot.

In general, to install Linux on a machine that has Win10 do this:
Disable Fast Boot in Windows (found in the power panel).
You can Disable Secure Boot, or not, in BIOS/UEFI. I just disable it.
Change the SATA settings to AHCI. Do not keep the "fake" hardware RAID (RST) that so many Windows machines come with. It really screws with hard drive/SSD configuration.
Do NOT use Legacy boot, since your goal is a single boot Linux.
With the USB drive connected, set your boot order to show the USB drive as first - then save and reboot.
It doesn't worked for me. I disabled secure boot, legacy support, and my only one set up is on ahci. The order to boot on usb too. Thank you very much anyway.

Was it Rufus, or Etcher, or other?

Wizard

Members online