Can open source programs be used for professional works?

Opensaver

Reaction score
Credits
I would like to learn your ideas about this topic. Can open source programs (like Kdenlive, Shotcut, GIMP, Inkscape, Blender, LMMS, Ardour and etc.) be use for professional work? Can we make money with this programs?

I am interested in open source programs and video/photo editing. But I don't want to buy Adobe's products. So, my question is; is there anyone use this programs professionally, for serious works? I just want to know your experiences :) Thanks in advance.

Opensaver

Last edited:

Of course. GPL covers the code that makes the applications, not the creative works you make with the applications.

You might want to read these:

You might search the web for stuff like "open source used for professional purposes" or something like that.

Oh, and it should also be added that GPL (or other opensource licenses) don't necessarily prohibit profiting from the work. There are many profitable companies that use, write, and share opensource products.

Though this wasn't a question, it's worth pointing it out at this time.

Heck, even my Linux site uses a permissive license. You can copy it and/or modify it so long as there's attribution.

this site will give you an idea of some of the industries that rely on Linux

CentOS was used by a lot of companies to run production systems on and now those will probably all mostly migrate to Rocky Linux which is also opensource.

Can Open Source software be used for commercial purposes?
Absolutely. All Open Source software can be used for commercial purpose; the Open Source Definition guarantees this. You can even sell Open Source software.

However, note that commercial is not the same as proprietary. If you receive software under an Open Source license, you can always use that software for commercial purposes, but that doesn't always mean you can place further restrictions on people who receive the software from you. In particular, copyleft-style Open Source licenses require that, in at least some cases, when you distribute the software, you must do so under the same license you received it under.
https://opensource.org/faq

Ofc, they can. AFAIK Blender is an open source program and these two beautiful short movies (the first one is my favorite) were made using Blender. :) So, it's just a matter of finding the right FOSS program for what you need to do.

Members online