Can not install ubuntu on LG gram

alexsgol

Reaction score
Credits
So I recently got two new pcs, and I wanted to install ubuntu in both of them. I have already successfully installed ubuntu on the first laptop, and now, reproducing the same exacts steps, I can not get the booting settings to show my desired booting option. So,

- I simply use rufus to convert my USB to a booting device using the ubuntu download I got from ubuntu page. It looks like it works since the usb is no longer a storage device but a booting device. When I reboot, I can not get the usual booting options with F12, if I press F10 I will get an option to boot from windwos or NVMe smth, which will bring to windows anyway. And if I press shift when restarting, and go to boot from usb, I get a lot of options but none is the desired one. I tried on all og them anyway and none works.

- Finally, I tried with unebootin but doesnt work anyway, nothing changes when restarting.

Hi @alexsgol if they were new i guess they had windows on them ?

There are quite a few possible parameters here." So i wanted to install ubuntu on them " could mean as a single OS or dual boot ?

two different PC's with different specs have an influence to!

But certainly i've seen in bios menu , enable booting from usb, boot order , enable or disbable secure boot. Thats more choices than hitting F key from cold boot

Thanks for your fast reply @captain-sensible ,

Yes, I have W10, and my idea is to remove it and keep only ubuntu since its a work pc only. So my steps were the following:

1) Downloading Ubuntu from their page
2) Installing Rufus software and making my usb bootable with the Ubuntu file like this:

1602679613206.png

where I checked UEFI since my laptop BIOS is UEFI (from system information).

3) Restart the pc and click F12

4) Nothing happens and I enter windows normally

5) If I restart while pressing shift, I get this, where none of the booting devices is the one I want to boot from

1602679799854.png

1602679808507.png

1602679816656.png

Attachments

• 1602679599956.png
    1602679599956.png
    246.4 KB · Views: 295
ok there are some variations depending on OS to be installed. IN my case my PC also had windows 10 , is 64 bit and is uefi.

I wiped everything which was a mistake in my case since i was due to install Slackware. Slackware will not create a EFI partition , but will recognize it. IN my case i had to manually create the SWAP and EFI partition.

Also in my case Slackware will work with UEFI but not with the "secure boot" option. So i disabled secure boot. I'm not sure if ubuntu automatically creates an EFI partition during install; my guess is it does.

You can try disabling secure boot. Ubuntu users i'm sure will be along later i don't want to give you wrong advice as a none ubuntu user.

Did you disable Fast Boot in Windows before starting the install? If Fast Boot is enabled, then Windows has control (assuming W10 has not been removed) of the hardware.

Staff online

Members online