Can not boot my laptop :(

When your drama is over, we can tell you how Timeshift works

Don't worry about it now.....after you have finished with @f33dm3bits restoring your OS and retrieving data etc
Also, give some thought to using BitWarden password manager. That can be for later too.
I'm just trying to get their /home directory archived to an external hard drive from Rescue mode because I'm getting the idea the hard drive is failing or about to fail because of some errors I saw and because of some message stating about it being mounted as read-only.

I tried to 'ls' files in some directories, to see what is in it, however, some of directories contains too many files and I can only see the end. I did search how to 'scroll' but nothing worked.

Do the following in a directory.
Code:
ls | less
Then you can scroll.

exactly this is what i tried. How are you suppose to scroll? Arrow keys do nothing, PgUp, Down nothing

exactly this is what i tried. How are you suppose to scroll? Arrow keys do nothing, PgUp, Down nothing
No idea, it works when I did it on my vm running Debian. Why are you wanting to scroll, I assume you are wanting to make an archive of all your files in your home directory.

I want to see if I can actually read some of txt files and copy them manually onto my usb flash drive before I get an external one.

I want to see if I can actually read some of txt files and copy them manually onto my usb flash drive before I get an external one.
Other thin you can do is the following.
1. Plugin in a usb drive in your system and mount it under /mnt
2. Go to your home directory: cd $HOME
3. find . > /mnt/myfiles.txt
4. Then from another system you can filter through that text file search for files you want to copy over to your flash drive.

What would happen if I would 'reinstall GRUB boot loader' when I am in rescue mode?

What would happen if I would 'reinstall GRUB boot loader' when I am in rescue mode?
Grub is not the problem because it already goes past that when you boot normally, it fails at another part of the boot process. What you can do is boot into rescuemode, reset your root password, then boot normally and then fail it fails during normal boot again you can enter your root password and see what you can see from there.

Well, I 'discovered' that there is a graphic rescue mode :D which actually allows me to scroll using my mouse! Oh dear.

When listing files in a terminal, you pipe the results to the command "less" or "more", which allows you to press enter to scroll the screen if more elements appear than can fit at once.

"ls | less"

or "ls | more"

The pipes "|" transfers the output of one command to the input of another.

If you look at the first photo you posted you will see -
[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules
See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details

I believe you need to fix this first
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Code:
sudo apt-get -f install
reboot

If you look at the first photo you posted you will see -
[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules
See 'systemctl status systemd-modules-load.service' for details

I believe you need to fix this first
Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Code:
sudo apt-get -f install
reboot

No, the system fails to boot, so how can they perform those operations?

No, the system fails to boot, so how can they perform those operations?
Precisely, need to press Ctrl+Alt+F3 at startup which will get you into a VT (Virtual Terminal) then run the commands after you login once done then reboot

Members online