Can not boot my laptop :(

You should try to mount it using that distro. It is easiest to use an external drive reader that uses USB.

debian 10
Try booting into rescue mode from the Debian installation media.
1. Boot from Debian, select Advanced options, select Rescue mode
2. Select Language, select Country, select locale, select keymap
3. Press enter for hostname and domain
4. Select "Do not use a root file system"
5. Select "Execute a shell in the installer environment" and then select continue
6. Run the following share the output?
Code:
fsck.ext4 /dev/sda1
vgs

ok, the output is:
e2fsck 1.44.5 (15-Dec_2018)
dev/sda1: recovering journal
dev/sda1: clean, 406747/30277632 files, 37301070/121099264 blocks

What happens now when you try to boot your system normally again without live or rescue boot?

Last edited:
I am sorry i don't know what vgs is or how to get that output. I rebooted the machine and I think it is the same as it was:
01.JPG

Try booting into rescue mode again from the Debian installation media.
1. Boot from Debian, select Advanced options, select Rescue mode
2. Select Language, select Country, select locale, select keymap
3. Press enter for hostname and domain
4. Select device /dev/sda1 as your root filesystem
5. Select No for mount separate boot partition
6. Select "Execute Shell in /dev/sda1" and then select Continue
7. Then share the output of the following.
Code:
dmesg | grep sda
ls /home/*
P.S What's your obsession with opiods?

Last edited:
I'm getting the idea your hard disk is about to fail because of those errors and because it keeps getting mounted as read-only. Those look like your files is, is that correct? Do you have an external hard drive that is big enough so that we can create an archive of your home directory and save it on the external hard drive?

Yes, those are my files and directories. I could get an external drive via Amazon or so. Would it be possible to recover also my saved passwords do you think?
How would you create an archive of the home directory? Would the usb work in rescue mode?

Yes, those are my files and directories. I could get an external drive via Amazon or so. Would it be possible to recover also my saved passwords do you think?
How would you create an archive of the home directory? Would the usb work in rescue mode?
Where are your passwords stored? In your browser, which browser?

Creating an archive of your home directory would be something like this.
1. Create a filesystem on your external hard drive: mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdX (Which is probably going to be a b)
2. Mount it somewhere: mount /dev/sdX1 /mnt
3. tar -czvf /mnt/backup-home.tar.gz /home
4. Wait until it's done and then unmount it: umount /mnt
5. Remove the external driver from your system.

I'm not sure if the hard disk in your laptop is about the fail but it seems like it and this way you will hopefully have been able to made an archive of your home directory with all your important files. Your personal settings for your browser will most likely also be stored somewhere in /home. In worst case scenario you can just do a password reset. After you have created an archive of your home director to an external drive you can at least try to reinstall your laptop. If the installations fails then you can be sure it's a hardware failure and if not you are lucky or you may run into the same thing again soon.

Last edited:
Can I get back to you when i get a new drive?
Those pass were stored in Vivaldi browser, I did not have a separate file which I created for it.

Yeah sure, I just installed Vivaldi on my own system and launched it. It creates the a directory for it in your home directory, so under $HOME/.config/vivaldi. So I'm guessing that's also where bookmarks and other browser data is stored, at least that's how it works for Firefox so I would think for Vivaldi as well.
P.S What's your obsession with opiods?
You haven't answered my previous question yet? ;)

Sorry, which question?
I don't have any obsession with opiods, not at least that I know of? :)

Sorry, which question?
I don't have any obsession with opiods, not at least that I know of? :)
Yes that one! Since you are using Poppy_seed as username I assumed you have an obsession for opiods?

haha, no... I like poppy seeds, in baking , and to use it as a filler in cakes.
I see never knew that, I only knew the Poppy in the context of Poppy flowers. Thanks for sharing that! :)

When your drama is over, we can tell you how Timeshift works

Don't worry about it now.....after you have finished with @f33dm3bits restoring your OS and retrieving data etc
Also, give some thought to using BitWarden password manager. That can be for later too.