Can I use KALI Linux as UBUNTU?

Institut

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I come again seeking advice: I must choose a Linux distribution since I am taking soon Computer science lectures. But it is a long cursus (+5 years) and I wish not to re-install new distributions as I make progress through the years.

Thus I am seeking direct acquaintance with the most appriorate O.S to practice CS: Kali Linux.
First I want it as a standard distribution, then using its specific tools with more and more knowledge. But is this even possible?

These are my daily software needs (not much as you will read):
- LibreOffice writer
- Photofiltre
- a PDF viewer
- Mozilla Firefox
- and a software to watch video or audio files.

So, can I use Kali Linux as a kind of Ubuntu UNTIL I know what to do with it (from zero to mastering student to OSCP candidate)?
I already used Ubuntu a couple of years ago when Windows let me down and it was awesome, great: really 5/5.

Here is the configuration of my current computer (my "box"?):
DELL
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400
@ 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz
RAM 4,00 Go
System 64 bits, x64
Winddows 10 Professionnal (not for long anymore !)

The course revolves around: cybersecurity, networks, coding (Python, Java, C+), architecture, discrete maths.

Thank you for your help.

Why make your life complicated with Kali ?

Linux Mint or Ubuntu....both are stable, and will run the apps/programs you mentioned easily.

Both have EOL in 2025, but that will not present a problem when it comes, as an updated version will already be in the downloads.

I would think the more important aspect might be to have Timeshift installed on whatever you choose, (works in similar fashion to system restore in windows....except...it works), and also to have a rock solid backup plan to save your work to an External Hard drive. Losing work you have done would be a catastrophe.

Thus I am seeking direct acquaintance with the most appriorate O.S to practice CS: Kali Linux.
You can have Ubuntu and then run Kali in a virtual machine with QEMU(recommended), VirtualBox, VMware or gnome boxes.

Please enlighten me: What is CS: Kali Linux ?

Please enlighten me: What is CS: Kali Linux ?

It is just the abbreviation of the course: CS for Computer Science.
I meant I wanted to practice and learn Computer Science with the best Linux distribution for it. It is not complicating things Condobloke, I wish to learn computer science with Kali !

Thank you for your answers
VirtualBox is a very good idea: should I add a string of RAM to my computer? Because I dont know anymore if my machine has just poor performances sometimes or if it's Windows.

Which distribution would be better anyway to run tools (in VirtualBox) like:
- airgraph-ng
- doona
- dotdotpwn
- wireshark
....and so on !

I would go with Ubuntu or Kali.
You could give BlackArch Linux a spin too if you want to try it in a VM. BTW, It's a 15 Gig download!
It has a lot more tools than Kali Linux.

Good luck with your studies in computer science.

Code:
These are my daily software needs (not much as you will read):
- LibreOffice writer
- Photofiltre
- a PDF viewer
- Mozilla Firefox
- and a software to watch video or audio files.

i'm normally keen eyed but don't see pen-testing in there. Computer Science is a fairly broad title, probably coding , command line , web server , SQL etc Last time i looked kali is Debian based. that has releases so you will at some point be upgrading maybe clean installs. So if you want a system that keeps up to date over 5 years go for a rolling release. EndeavourOS is a nice distro a rolling release based on Arch with an installer to make install "doable" . It has option of install "offline" using everything from the install medium or downloading the bulk live. I installed it "offline" while sub Sahara.

Its backward compatible with Vanilla Arch so you have a wide choice of software to use including AUR .

I've got everything on your list for pdf eg i have document viewer, pdf studio viewer
LibreOffice ,Mozilla Firefox 90.0.2

photofiltre no but doing a quick search :

Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ sudo pacman -Ss photofiltre                  (07-31 10:24)
[sudo] password for andrew: 
community/photoflare 1.6.8-1
    Quick, simple but powerful Qt-based image editor inspired by PhotoFiltre

basically there will be loads of alternatives

Updating the system is as easy as :
Code:
sudo pacman -Syu

when new pkg updates/ kernels are available, that single command will do everything for you.

When you get to pen testing you can also install it eg WordPress pentester here :

photofiltre no but doing a quick search :
Code:
[andrew@darkstar:~]$ sudo pacman -Ss photofiltre                  (07-31 10:24)
[sudo] password for andrew: 
community/photoflare 1.6.8-1
    Quick, simple but powerful Qt-based image editor inspired by PhotoFiltre
A bit off-topic, but you don't need sudo here
Code:
pacman -Ss pkg_name

true but i'm very lazy and found it quicker to just remove the "s" from Ss when i want to install rather than add "sudo" .

At least i do remember not to use sudo with yay

Members online