Can I really replace Windows with Linux?

Ive been trying to do the same thing. Where can I get one?
A lot of the dealers have them now. As a matter of fact, I was on the Tiger Direct website yesterday, and they have them for SATA drives too! I noticed that the prices for SATA drives are a lot lower than IDE now. Guess I'll have to upgrade again!

The Linux world to me is like being at a buffet - all you can eat.............

without the stomach ache from over-indulging.
What is your definition of over indulging? I can't get enough of this stuff. I downloaded Puppy Linux 5.2.8 and have been experimenting with it on Darkstar's hardware, and a couple older machines I have here in the shack. It flies!!!!! I just pull the drive caddy, because I don't even need a hard drive in the box, because I have gobs of ram left with it all loaded in ram. I did notice that XINE ran perfectly on that hardware in Puppy, but I have yet to get it to run in Slackware. Darkstar has a DVD drive in it , so I watched a couple movies as a test. they played full screen with no buffering or anything. At least I now know it is not a hardware issue. The only problem is that I have yet to get Puppy to boot from a hard drive, or a USB drive, even though I made it a bootable partition. HMMMM!. I sense much more experimentation on the horizon!

I guess the best way to explain is to there is so much good free software to use and distros to play with but unlike the overindulging as in eating too much food, one consumes if you knoq what I'm saying and there no bad side effects like a sore tummy merely gaining more knowledge about linux through trying different distros and software at the great banquet of the Linux world.

This may be useful

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/InstallationIndex
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/InstallationIndex

I'm new to the linux world, just installed the latest Ubuntu, and I want to know if there's a way to transfer my files from windows to linux, like my music for instance, or is it better to just dual boot???

There are several ways....

Scenario 1: Dual boot - you then can access your windows partiton where your files are.

Scenario 2: Backup your files to an External Hard drive or other media if you are only installing Linux. Remember some music maybe DRM stuff.

Scenario 3: Backup them up to a cloud service like dropbox. If you don't mind Cloud based services

Scenario 4. Link up your computer to another and transfer files via network. Spatry on youtube shows you how.

Personally I like method 2 as I prefer just running Linux it for me personally does everything you need Windows does. Linux has come along way over the years.

So from my perspective it is a personal choice as these days technology has given us choices.

I have not used Windows since 2009. Linux is simply just too awesome.

I did like programs such as photoshop and illustrator in Windows, but currently I dual boot OS X and Ubuntu, using Ubuntu primarily. OS X can do all of Adobe's programs when I need them, but I usually choose GIMP in Ubuntu.

If you need Windows for other things, I would look into running it via Dual Boot or in a virtual machine as mentioned earlier in this thread.

On a side note, this is my first post. :)

To everyone,

I totally recommend Spatry's Cup of Linux channel - he has great reviews and tutorials about Linux related things.

without the stomach ache from over-induldging.

AND without the unintended weight gain!..... :D (Even when I used to use a Hard Drive, instead of an SD Card, where I fully installed Linux, I never needed to Defrag....) :D

View attachment 504 Or you can do what I do and run Windows 7 Enterprise in a VM(Virtual Machine) using VMware player for Linux. I boot up a Win7 Enterprise VM on top of my Fedora Linux laptop's desktop to run Windows 7 and log into my company's VPN to access and use corporate Windows based resources, apps and tools such as SharePoint, which I need to perform my job.

However, I have been able to replace all of my personal stuff using Linux without much effort, between using Linux based apps that do the same job which I have been doing with Linux on all 28 of my home computers for over 20 years! I used to do mutli-OS boots 20-some years ago, but have found just leaving my 'puter running Linux and booting a Windows VM as needed is a the way better way to go!

I LOVE and LIVE LINUX!!! :p~~~

As virtualization software please don't forget VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org) that is released for free under the GPL.......

without the stomach ache from over-induldging.

I think that is, at the same time, the strength and the weakness of Linux.
Please take Windows or Mac for instance, both of them are monolithic OS : You buy this PC and now You have to use this OS. Period.
Linux is different: You have a lot of different flavours to choose from and to enjoy.
It all depends on Your needs. Wonderful.
But someone could get confused because all of this freedom.
There are many guys who are puzzled about which distro could be better for them.
No such this problem with WIN or MAC.
But we love TUX too much for considering other options.......
Moreover there is no other choice but freedom.

Darren,
Thanks for the video. I now have 3 drive caddies for darkstar, One is Slackware 14.0, the second is Lucid Puppy 5.2.8, and the third is Slacko puppy 5.7.0-PAE. It's like an all night, all you can eat, buffet!!! I'm having so much fun with this, my wife has to tell me when it is time to go to sleep. But, who can sleep at a time like this? By the way, was that you doing the demo? Love your accent mate! Steam computing! Steam computing!

Paul

Your Wife sounds like a very wise lady.

Darren,
I told my wife that she received a complement from down under. She looked puzzled, so I showed her your post. She shrugged, and said that she is smarter than I am anyway. She says that she is the brains of the operation, But she is really just the boss. I have seen the Boss's job, and I DON'T WANT IT! Maybe she is correct about being smarter. She stays at home and does as she pleases all day, while I have to go to the salt mines 5 or 6 days a week. HMMMMM!

Dafuq.....? I was told that there was no account here of mine, by Linux.org ADMINS, when I told them I couldn't log in..... Well, now I'm back..... For NOW.... >.>

Dafuq.....? I was told that there was no account here of mine, by Linux.org ADMINS, when I told them I couldn't log in..... Well, now I'm back..... For NOW.... >.>

I never heard about your problem. Sorry for the inconvenience.:oops:

AND without the unintended weight gain!..... :D (Even when I used to use a Hard Drive, instead of an SD Card, where I fully installed Linux, I never needed to Defrag....) :D
that is an issue I wanted more information on. When I used dos (Remember dos 1.0, or the timex-sinclair ZX-81?) I used Norton speed disk to defrag my drives. Is this necessary in Linux? If so, what utility do I need?

that is an issue I wanted more information on. When I used dos (Remember dos 1.0, or the timex-sinclair ZX-81?) I used Norton speed disk to defrag my drives. Is this necessary in Linux? If so, what utility do I need?
It depends on the filesystem. EXT3/4 fragment sooo slowly it is not needed. But BTRFS does need to be defragmented. Not nearly as often as NTFS but often enough to where I don't want to deal with it. ;) Same thing goes for jfs and xfs.

Members online